Re: where does Audi fit?

I remember a survey a few years ago which disclosed that 70% of BMW owners

> never bothered to test their cars prior to purchase. And those which were > given the opportunity to test other marques then thought the BMW the > inferior choice. Ah, the power of marketing. :)

I would concur with this - when I was looking for a more 'upmarket' car in 1996 I tested the A4 (fwd) back-to-back with the BMW 3 series. The BMW felt just like any other tin can (it didn't really feel much different to driving a Ford), but the A4 felt much more solid - a feeling of luxury. When hurrying the cars around the back lanes, both felt to be equally controllable. This is from someone who never expected to feel comfortable with fwd!

My RS6 is my third Audi, and I have also converted my wife to Audis.

Reply to
Peter Bell

How many did you get for her?

;-) SCNR

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Haha - only one (so far!). But I'm still amazed that she 'allowed' me to change my A6 2.7 for the RS6. :)

Reply to
Peter Bell

"wayne" skrev i melding news:3f0d152a$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.iprimus.com.au...

Her in my country, at least, BMWs are gangmobiles, while MBs are taxis, and Lexus almost non-existant. So................. Audi is the obvious alternative. I suppose that you do not want the cops to stop you and check you constantly, or that people all the time shout "Taxi!" after you. So, there you are..................

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

It was, yes.

I had no problems whatsoever, but then I don't do a high mileage.

Yep, it was reasonably quick, but the RS6 is something else!

I haven't had a 3-box saloon since 1980 - all my cars since then have had a rear hatch.

If you have the choice, go for the 140bhp, rather than 115. Certainly a comfortable and rapid car, with good longevity.

It is fun - many other drivers seem surprised (and some quite annoyed) to find that a large estate car can outrun them so easily!

Reply to
Peter Bell

Inger

I guess you are in Sweden? I should have stated i am in Australia.

Reply to
wayne

I can imagine!

I definitely would do! I've looked up the figures on parkers.co.uk, and while they may not be entirely accurate, they're probably about right relative to each other, and there's not one single redeeming feature about the 115bhp version compared to the 140bhp. I suppose they probably lowered the price to shift them once the 140bhp version arrived. The top speed,

0-60, economy - absolutely everything, are all worse than the 140.

I'm looking forward to the day I might possibly be able to afford one. I might get that and a Lotus Carlton. I've also got this crazy idea of transplanting everything from a Lotus Carlton into a Carlton Estate (bar a few obvious saloon/estate differences).

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

"wayne" skrev i melding news:3f0f31a3 snipped-for-privacy@news.iprimus.com.au...

Sweden? No (r) way................. But indeed very close. BTW, the Swedes usually stick to their Volvos and SAABs, and for some reason or other BMWs are looked upon as a typically "Norwegian" choice of car by other Scandinavians, but they are particularly popular among our immigrants from southern and eastern Europe and Asia, mainly young and single males, much because of their "macho" status as "power machines". Therefore they have gained the reputation of being typical "gangmobiles" and "machomobiles". There has even been extremely successful TV sitcoms made about this (particularly the young&single male Asian (Pakistani) immigrant "Ali" in "Borettslaget", a really huge TV success here). This "negative" reputation has driven many potential BMW customers away, as more and more adult "native" Norwegians choose to ignore BMW as a serious option, because of its "nasty" reputation of being a "mob car". And if you want to drive in an MB, you can just call a cab (taxi). So, Audi is the only really serious option left. Lexus is here, but has not been very successful, at least not so far. US cars also sell poorly, with the possible exception of Chrysler Voyager, but made in Austria. Japanese cars always sell well, especially all Toyotas, but not Lexus. Also Korean cars like Hyundais have a fair share of the market. Swedish cars? Well, Volvos are on their way up, while SAAB is struggling. The Volvo 70 (formerly 850) series is very popular. But the overall winner is VW, with their vast range of Golf and Passat models. And what about Audi? Audi is doing just fine in the upmarket segment, especially the various A4s, the A6s and the TT models. The A3 is also doing quite well, while the A2 is a popular niche car. The A8 is a bit too expensive for the general market here, but is considered as a "royal" car, if you get my drift here. We are a kingdom, just like Sweden and Denmark, you know. My personal dream (and ambition) is an A8, so there you are................. At present I drive a 1999 A6Q 2,4L 30V V6 Tiptronic Sedan (Limousine) with 165 horsepowers (or maybe it is 170, I am not quite sure). But it is more than enough for me anyway, as I am a thirtysomething female, and therefore absolutely no speed freak. I just love to cruise around in some style, and an Audi A6 or an A8 is absolutely perfect for that, and definitely not a BMW. The A4 is more of a middle-of-the-road car, to put it that way, but definitely more upmarket than a VW Passat. Anyway, at present, Audi is my only obvious option and choice. The brand new A3 is also great for a modern and urban girl, or boy, and the same can be said about the A2, too, a great little car, state-of-the-art. And of course the TT, but it is not for me, I need more space, and I really prefer spacious, roomy cars myself, big cars, like the A6 or the A8. An expensive, but not impossible dream, I hope.................. Have a nice summer, all of you out there, or winter, "down under" in Australia, where you all walk around with your feet up and your heads down on the other side of the globe. How do you manage not to fall off the the face of the earth anyway?? What is your secret here?? Magnetic shoes????? I would really like to know

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

I personally perceive audis to emphasize innovation, rather than vanity. I think they were among the first mass-market turbos & awd introduced. Also, the 5000 began the transformation of body design to the rounded edged, softer airflow look back in the 80s, making all cars look like blobs. The TT design is having some mass influence as well.

Reply to
rbl

I don't know about that. Every time I had to drive another car and then drove my beamer I would fall in love with it all over again. You can feel the difference. I have a 5 series BMW and I am in the process of switching to an A4. When I drove the A4 I loved it. But then when I got back to my car, I loved my car even more! I felt more solid on the ground in my car, more confident and safer. For my beamer acceleration was better than the A4. Handling was not as good as the A4 but that's understandable b/c of the quattro (both were excellent), and my car was much more luxurious. But, there was a feeling in the Audi I didn't feel in my car: it felt cozy! it felt nice and I didn't know what it was. My car is more comfortable but when I get behind the wheel I feel like I have to awaken all my senses so I can drive in a way aggressive enough to live up to BMW's reputation as a sports luxury (and I do and its fun!). But in the Audi I felt more relaxed and "homey". I haven't bought the audi yet as I am not sure if I should get a 1.8T and chip it or a

2.8. I know it has to be quattro and an A4 because I don't like the way the A6 feels and looks (no insult meant to A6 owners! :) ). Until then I would have a preference for my car (but only a small one!). After I buy the A4 maybe I will change my mind.On the other hand, maybe I feel that way because I am comparing a 5 series to an A4 when I should be comparing it to an A6.
Reply to
Imad Al-Ghouleh

BMW sucks bad in comparison to my test driving 4 and

6 series. Audis are *very* good in performance -that's what I look for- and my V8 Quattro kicks ass and does not look like a sleazy gangster car.

Reply to
Greg

I dont know where u live but here its actually the MB that looks like a gangster car. BMW is nowhere close to resembling a gansgter car. Audi on the other hand is for some reason undervalued, and that i find surprising. I think it is in the ranks of bmw and mb, but ppl here think its a notch lower.

Reply to
Imad Al-Ghouleh