New to group- bad predicament

Hi, I have owned a Vanagon diesel, 1982, for 5 years. Recently I had a fuel injector line spring a leak, and I took it off and braised it. It started leaking again today on a long commute. I kept driving since I was only a few miles from work (a car dealership), and would have facilities. Suddenly, BAM, dead engine. Looked into the engine compartment, and the entire compartment was wet with diesel, and the timing belt had slipped off. Am I correct in assuming this is fatal? I am going out tomorrow to put the belt back on, but am I wasting my time? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Eric

Reply to
fallsturm

The VW diesel engine I once had was an interference engine in that if it ever got out of time the valves would collide with the pistons. If that is the case for your engine it could be toast.

Reply to
Papa

Agreed. Engine could be toasted from this. If anything, I don't think you can't just put the belt back on either...needs to be timed correctly w/the injection pump I think or else if you haven't done the above damage, you will.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
none2u

Eric:

Once the timing belt breaks while driving on any 1.6L VW diesel engine, the valves will be bent, the connecting rods bent, and the piston crowns gouged. You will need a new or good used long block (oil pan to head w/vavle cover included). I suggest you also get a replacement for the steel fuel line so this does not happen on your next engine. Put a new timing belt on the replacement engine if it does not come with a new one and replace the front & rear oil seals before you bolt the engine back into the Vanagon. It is easy to do with the engine out of the van. You may need to swap your oil pan for the one that comes on the replacement engine since the vanagon diesel has a slanted oil pan. Swap the oil pump suction tubes as well. The engines are otherwise identical to the Golf/Jetta diesels from 85-92. Tom Miller

81 Rabbit Diesel LS sold at 300K Miles 85 Jetta Diesel turned Turbo sold at 254K Miles 89 Westfalia 2.1L turned Go Westy 2.3L 90 Corrado G60 turned VR6 91 Jetta ECO Diesel 93 Corrado SLC 96 Cabrio 2.0L 05.5 Jetta TDI
Reply to
Corrado Daddy