97 Polo - faulty interior light - plus clock and trip counter both reset themselves

Hi all

I have been searching without joy for some info about our Polo's niggles. They are:

- No interior light operation, either by door activation or using the manual switch on the light in the headlining. Bulb is working OK.

- The clock loses the time you have set as soon as you switch off the ignition (it always comes on again starting at 0:00) but keeps time whilst ignition is switched on.

- The trip mileage counter resets to zero when you switch off the ignition. It then counts the mileage OK until you switch off again.

I have checked the fuse and it is intact. I also swapped in a known working one just in case, with no change. The information on the back of the glove box specifies that the fuse (number 21) is shared with the central locking and diagnostics, but the CL works just fine from both front doors and the diagnostics are showing up and switching themselves off as normal when the ignition is switched on.

It is a 97 Polo, although a locksmith suggested it is a 98 model as the ignition key is chipped. We are in New Zealand, but the car is ex Japan (not sure if this may be significant).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might try to fix this? Other than these issues, we are pleased with it!

Thanks

Neil

Reply to
Neil C

Hi Neil-

It's time to get out the multimeter and start checking voltage and ground points. You will need a Haynes or Bentley manual to get a schematic for you to follow. The schematics are a little hard to follow if you are a newbie so I would suggest finding the common source and ground that keeps power to the instrument panel and the interior light. It could be 2 birds with one stone or you could have to different issues. However it's such a coincedence that I would think you have something unplugged under the panel somewhere. I would first pop out the interior light and check to see with side has power and ground. Next test the ground in conductivity mode. I would also test the power. If you don't have power that is probably linked with your panel somewhere.

HTH

Good Luck...

Neil C wrote:

Reply to