300TDI engine strip down.

I have been reading this group for six months and now I am taking the plunge to contribute.

I have a Defender with a 300tdi engine in a CSW (1998) which has suffered from a snapped off exhaust valve head which has damaged the head beyond repair and scored the cylinder bore.........

I am in the process of stripping it down, the block is still in the vehicle and I am apprehensive about removing the fuel injector pump as I have never worked on a diesel engine before. The manual refers to installing a locking pin in the injector gear wheel. Is this pin just to ensure that the timing is correct before reinstalling the serpentine belt? I need to get everything off before it goes to the machine shop and this pump is a stumbling block. Can any one advise what this pin does?

Also I need a new head, has anybody got one kicking around in thier workshop or SWMBO's broom cupboard?

I will be changing all the other exhaust valves and checking the con- rod, I have previously changed the belt, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Reply to
Hugh Griffith

evenin'!

its a while since i did it but in my 2.5 n/a i think it stops the gear wheel from moving from where it should be (lined up with the shaft off the pump) on the tension from the timing belt..

Reply to
Tom Woods

In message , Hugh Griffith writes

The pin maintains the correct timing of the injection pump.

No big deal really you only need it for re assembly.

If you are sending off the block for re machining you can leave the injection pump bolted to the timing cover and remove the timing cover as one.

Also I have a limited number of brand new 300 tdi cylinder heads left in stock if you are interested. These are bare units but brand new.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around 23 Feb 2007 12:40:09 -0800, "Hugh Griffith" enlightened us thusly:

there's one to put in the crankshaft as well. Look in the book about "timing belt replacement", which covers it. There are I think 3 pins altogether, one in the crank, one in the pump BOSS (not the pulley) and one in the camshaft. In order to set the engine up you have to have all these in place or you risk contact and in the case of the injector pump, poor running or no fire at all.

Once you've set it all up, turn it slowly and carefully by hand 2 revs and then recheck as per the book. But that's not just yet...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin, Well, I am going to try and remove the rear casing complete with the injection pump despite the fact that there some difficult bolts in and around the pump. Does anybody know how much the block itself weighs? (2.5 diesel) my estimate is 250kilos! I have doubts if I can get it in the Back of a Fia Punto|

Reply to
Hugh Griffith

I doubt a bare block would be over 100kg - if it weren't for the awkward shape you'd carry one on your own.

Reply to
EMB