Next-Gen Passat?

Does anyone know when the next-gen of the Passat will come out? I love the previous version, the current version has a huge center console, it cuts into precious leg room for us guys with grasshopper legs. I wonder if Germans get the American "huge center console" or a German-only version without the console?

I am hoping that maybe VW will see the error and go back to something more spacious.

Reply to
Phil

C&D recently had a sneak-preview exterior shot of the wagon. Nice.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Reply to
Rob Guenther

about one year from this day, you will hear that the next gen passat is at the port...soon to be at dealer lots

regards

Reply to
euro930

and it looks like a smaller Phaeton.

Reply to
Matt B.

And.....

a TDI option ?

Hopefully...?

Reply to
HooHa

For the U.S. the only TDi will be a carryover of the recently released 2.0 TDi making about 130Hp. If you live in one of the "ban states" like California and Maine, it'll be about 2007 before you can legally buy one and register it in your home state. The 3.2 VR6 will replace the current Audi-sourced V6. I read a snippet about the new Passat in C&D today, and they worte a comment that the

1.8T would be carried over, which is tottally contrary to what I heard, which is that a new 200Hp 2.0T would be replacing the 1.8.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

In Maine, the law as currently adopted prevents VW from selling TDIs in the state, but there is absolutley nothing to prevent you from buying one elsewhere and registering it in Maine.

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, maine

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

I've heard that there will not be a TDI in the "new" Passat in the first few model years. There should be plenty of 2005 Passat TDIs around, however.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Only if VW decides to significantly increase the number of TDI Passats they send to the US, I suspect. I had our Passat 1.8T at the dealer (in Tuscaloosa AL) last Wednesday for an oil change and asked if they had any TDI Passats on the lot (thinking maybe I'd take a test drive). The sales mgr said they had sold about a dozen so far and that every single one was pre-sold before it arrived. Seems to be a hot item. You have a TDI Passat, don't you Al? How do you like it? Any problems? Is it quiet? Hows the mileage?

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

VW Waterloo (Ontario, Canada) got 8 2004s, which sold quickly. They have allocation of 24 2005 Passat TDIs.

I have a (leased) 2002 TDI Jetta today. My name is on one of those 24 Passats, delivery "expected in August or September".

Ask me in a few months... ;-)

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Well then the law is different there. Here in California you can't even register a new TDi, regardless of where you purchased it.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Does anyone know what the rule is on TDI's in Vermont? I don't think the dealers can sell them here either.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Mike W

Do you know what the "on the road" prices are for the TDI Passats in the base trim.... With taxes, liscensing, friegh, made up taxes.... etc all in.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I doubt if you will see much wiggle room. The dealer I talked to expected the prices to stay stable for 2005, except that ESP becomes standard and the base price will "reflect that".

Reply to
Al Rudderham

I didn't ask if there is room for negotiation....

I wanted to know if you knew the going rate, out the door for these cars.

IE: my dad's 2003 Golf CL was $21000 on the road after purchase price, taxes, liscenceing, etc etc etc... What are the Passats running with all the little extra thrown in.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Sorry, I thought that was what you were asking.

Probably your best bet would be the "build your own" on the VW website. I lease, so I don't look at cost in those terms...

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Reply to
Rob Guenther