MIL on 2000 Jetta 1.9 TDI

MIL came on in the wife's Jetta. When the car is first started, the light is out, but once we begin moving it comes right on. It seems to start and run just fine. My question is this: is there any way that I can diagnose the problem without VAG-COM or taking it to VW?

On my Dodge Dakota, when you turn the key on and off 5 times (keeping it "on" on the 5th time) the "service engine soon" light will begin to flash any active codes. On a GM car that I used to have, I could short across two pins on the connector and the light would flash the code(s). Does VW have something similar?

When my MAF went bad, I unplugged it and the power came back so I knew what I had to replace. Is there any similar diagnosing that may show me what turned the light on?

Ultimately, I would like Vag-Com - just can't afford it right now. I may try to cough up the money though if my only choice is to take the car to VW, .

Thanks for any advise/tips. This is a great car and I want to keep it running that way.

Reply to
Joe B

You may be able to get AutoZone, advanced autoparts to do a scan and report back here with the faults.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I agree with woodchuck. AZ has saved me quite a few times on that one.

Reply to
LC