no synthetic VW 505.01 in Canada?

I recently did the first oil change on my 04 Golf TDI-PD, and had a friend pick up the required 505.01 oil from the dealer as I wasn't able to get there while they were open.

When I got my hands on the product, which the parts department had assured me was synthetic (and at $11 a litre, it sure ought to be!), I found the label described it merely as a "sythetic blend", which I understand to be weasel words for "contains a bit of synthetic oil". The product was Motul Specific 505.01 SAE 5W40 Technosynthese.

I then went to another dealer, who had recently dropped their price for the Castrol 505.01 product from $11 down to $8.40/Litre, and inquired about their product. The parts staff there assured me that they had been told it was 100% synthetic, and this was seconded by a technician, and later by parts staff at a third VW dealership.

However, this Castrol product, labbelled simply "Castrol 50501 5W-40 Special Motor Oil" carries only a description in German on the back , and this says only that it's a "special light oil designed for pump-injection diesel engines. The rest of the sticker is devoted to warnings about protecting yourself and the environment from the toxins in spent oil.

There word "synthetic", or its German equivalent, isn't to be found anywhere on this package.

I've been using nothing but fully synthetic engine oil in all of my vehicles for more than 20 years, and find it very maddening to now be forced to use a non-synthetic oil, and even have to pay through the nose for it.

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse

Check at

there's a forum on lubrication. Yes as I recall the Castrol product is not totally synthetic but a blend. Further I think they were taken to court for calling it synthetic but won because the product was changed so much during the process.

Jobo

Reply to
Jo Bo

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:06:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@3web.nettax (Achim Nolcken Lohse) wrote:

||I recently did the first oil change on my 04 Golf TDI-PD, and had a ||friend pick up the required 505.01 oil from the dealer as I wasn't ||able to get there while they were open. || ||When I got my hands on the product, which the parts department had ||assured me was synthetic (and at $11 a litre, it sure ought to be!), I ||found the label described it merely as a "sythetic blend", which I ||understand to be weasel words for "contains a bit of synthetic oil". ||The product was Motul Specific 505.01 SAE 5W40 Technosynthese. || ||I then went to another dealer, who had recently dropped their price ||for the Castrol 505.01 product from $11 down to $8.40/Litre, and ||inquired about their product. The parts staff there assured me that ||they had been told it was 100% synthetic, and this was seconded by a ||technician, and later by parts staff at a third VW dealership. || ||However, this Castrol product, labbelled simply "Castrol 50501 5W-40 ||Special Motor Oil" carries only a description in German on the back , ||and this says only that it's a "special light oil designed for ||pump-injection diesel engines. The rest of the sticker is devoted to ||warnings about protecting yourself and the environment from the toxins ||in spent oil. || ||There word "synthetic", or its German equivalent, isn't to be found ||anywhere on this package. || ||I've been using nothing but fully synthetic engine oil in all of my ||vehicles for more than 20 years, and find it very maddening to now be ||forced to use a non-synthetic oil, and even have to pay through the ||nose for it.

This response is from the Castrol rep (Brad Wick) who calls on VW in Wolfsburg Germany, so is very accurate.

-----Original Message----- From: Wick, Bradley Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 6:50 AM

The oil in question is Castrol 505 01, a synthetic 5W-40 I bring in via container from Europe. This is not a Syntec product in any way shape or form, and is not available "locally," unless imported from Europe. It is in fact only available at VW and Audi dealers. Not any different than BMW G.O. only being available at BMW dealers. It is such a niche product that anyone other than VW would be hard pressed to justify it's distribution. It is mandated for use in VW "pumpe duese" engines. Does this help?

Best regards,

Bradley . . .

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Perhaps you are just confusing their Syntec products that are blends, vs. their full synthetic line?

Reply to
Biz

I e-mailed Castrol USA's "ask-the-expert" yesterday (after calling three toll-free numbers and being referred to a website), and got the responses below first from Andrea Roche, and then, when I replied asking point blank whether Castrol Specific 505.01 was synthetic, part synthetic, or entirely mineral-based oil, the response immediately below from "Consumer Relations, Castrol North America".

And the answeris:

Can you spell "weasel words"? It looks to me as though your Castrol Rep/aka Texas Parts Guy, if quoted correctly in your posting below, is either a fool, a knave, or both.

complete correspondence below, except that "Consumer Services" failed to quote my initial inquiry in the final response.

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse

I recently bought a TDI Jetta and am ready for my first oil change. Because the service manager claimed ordinary oil is ok, I started researching the oil requirements for late model diesel engines. There are several problems that are peculiar to late model diesels with EGR valves and catalytic converters. The byproducts of diesel fuel can cause sticking of the EGR valve which will eventually cause failure of the catalytic converter. Oil that meets API certification CI-4 has been formulated to prevent this. All major oil companies produce oil that meets this certification. Finding it in the correct weights is the problem. The places that normally service diesels only have it in the heavier 15/40 weight. Mobil does make it, both Delvac 1 and Mobil

1 for TRUCK and SUV in the 5/40 weight!!
Reply to
Steve

Shell Rotella in the blue bottle is also a 5-40 synthetic. some wallmart stores carry it at $12.88 per gallon. I understand that the newest PD tdi's require a different one. Best info about VW diesel cars is at

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo