Windows falling into door (99 Jetta)

I have heard about this but haven't paid too much attention until now. I have a 99 Jetta and the passenger windows fell into teh window today :-(

How hard is it to fix? What do I need to do to fix? Does it need parts? Can I fix it so that it will never happen again?

TIA

Reply to
Mike Smith

Could be the mountings on the bottom of the glass, you have to take the inner door panel and all the parts like armrest etc. off to be able to repair/inspect/remove it. It could also be the cable, if the cable failed, you need a new one. If you figure out a way to fix a car so that nothing ever breaks on it ever agina, let me know... ;)

Reply to
Biz

Call your dealer as VW been paying for them. i.e. FREE to you!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Cool, even on a 99?

Reply to
Mike Smith

There was a loud "CLICK" before it dropped.

Well, more specifically, since this is a known problem and happens to a LOT of VW Jettas, there has to be a reason because it has never happened on my 91 Mustang, and that car is a P.O.S. I just thought that maybe there is a better mousetrap out there.

Someone said to check with the dealer but I'll see.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yep

Reply to
sehaare

There was a class action suit and part of the agreement was that vw extended the warranty on window regulators on a4 cars (99.5 "new" jetta) and onward. Be nice to the dealer and they just might replace both sides.

JoBo.

Reply to
Jo Bo
99.5 and up

Reply to
Woodchuck

On the Beetle models, VW extended the warranty on the window regulators to 7 yrs unltd mileage to deal with this. I'd guess that Golf's and Jetta's may also be included, but talk to your dealer.

Reply to
Larry

Only in the USA, according to VW Canada. Canadians get hosed after the two- or four-year warranty expires.

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse

In the US only.

I asked VW Canada about this when we were forced to buy the 04 Golf TDI GLS model because of a factory screw-up that resulted in some TDI GL production being built without cruise control (supposedly there's no way of knowing whether a particular 04 Golf TDI GL has cruise until it actually hits the dealer's lot - apparently the boys in Brazil are too dumb to make a note!).

I've been antsy about power windows every since my old Buick Wildcat left me exposed to the elements at -30C, and would much rather have hand-cranked windows (unless you could have both). The pre-sales manager for VW Canada advised me that the 7-year warranty extension on the power windows does NOT apply in Canada.

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Excerpted from an e-mail received from John MacLeod, Presales Manager, VW Canada:

Hi Achim,

The extended warranty coverage you read about applies in the USA only, and more specifically deals with plastic window clips which your vehicle doesn't have. I hope this helps you.

Regards,

John MacLeod Volkswagen Canada Inc.

-----Original Message----- From: Achim Nolcken Lohse [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@xxxx.xxx] Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 3:27 PM To: snipped-for-privacy@vw.com Cc: snipped-for-privacy@xxxx.xxx; snipped-for-privacy@northlandvolkswagen.com Subject: oil change, pwr windows, gls/gl

Hello John,

Managed to get hold of the Northland Service Manager, Rob Kerner, today. He assures me there is no special "break-in" oil in the TDi-PD engine, and so I've asked him to replace the engine oil and filter before we pick up the vehicle Tuesday.

He also assured me that all fluid levels were checked during the PDI. I hope this is really the case, as I don't want to discover I'm missing a significant portion of some critical fluid several months and thousands of kilometers down the road, as happened with our 2002 Golf from 5th Avenue Autohaus.

Rob also advised me that there is no seven year extended warranty on the power windows in Canada. Perhaps the posting at the Bentley A4 forum was mistaken?

Have attached the html file FYI, and would appreciate your comments.

I have asked the Northland Sales Manager, Darrin McNeil for some consideration for the fact that we are paying $1300+ tax more than needed for features we did not want, all because of incorrect information at the dealership and VW Canada website. He promised to bring the matter to the dealership owner's attention before the latter attended the dealers' council meeting. However, I have heard nothing back on this from anyone at Northland.

It seems that everyone at VW is content to burden the car purchaser with the cost of errors made by VW staff.

regards, ......

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse

Well the windows in my car were paid for by VW, and the dealer told the PO, and myself to not worry, that they are covered if they break again.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

A new design of front window regulator clip (metal instead of plastic) was used beginning in the 2003 model year, and for warranty replacements. So your 2004 car probably has the new design clips that don't fail so often like the old ones. (Then again, is it possible that VW used up remaining supply of old window regulator clips in cars destined for Canada?)

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

That's what he told me, but how much faith can you put in any statement of an outfit that says GL TDIs have cruise control standard on one page of their website, and on another that cruise control is only available on the GLS model, and offer no compensation for buyers who thought they were getting cruise control and got one of the specimens without?

If the factory quality control can't catch a mission cruise control, how the hell would they be able to check for the right window clips?

And if there's nothing wrong with the power window design now, why wouldn't they offer a seven year warranty extension on them?

I think VW has replaced quality control with lying. I've talked to four dealerships now about the new Castrol VW 505.01 engine oil, and every one of them has told me this oil is a "full synthetic", while Castrol itself will only say it's "a synthetic technology product". Some of the dealerships have even gone so far as to say that the Castrol 505.01 special oil that they sell is the ONLY product that meets the TDI-PD engine's warranty requirements, which is an even more outrageous lie.

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse