noob w/99 passat v6 manual

I wanted to change my own oil to synthetic until I looked under the car and now I am perplexed. I see what appears to be the "belly pan" bracket hanging without a "belly pan". I cannot see the oil change nut sticking at what I thought to be a 45 degree angle. I am about to go out and check again from both sides. Any advise would be appreciated. I have 6 quarts of Castrol Syntec 0-30W (says European and VW 502 00 on it). I just got this car used/private party and so far it is a blast. I really want to baby it and appreciate the German engineering. Thanks.

Reply to
geewiz

Apart from any skid plates being there or not, if the car has more than say....40,000 miles on it, be very careful if you switch to synthetic oil. You may find it leaking out in very short order. If it does not leak, best-of-good luck with it. If it does, drain and switch back to mineral-based oil ASAP.

Keep in mind that oil still gets dirty and still picks up contaminants based on your driving style, many manufacturers have stopped suggesting synthetic oils as they require changing frequencies such that there is no benefit realized.

Next question: Would you run 10,000 miles between oil changes? That is about the break point between 4000+/- miles on high-quality mineral-based oil and Synthetic (including filter costs).

My wife's Saab runs synthetic as it has been that since-new. Her driving habits also favor synthetic oil. My Volvo and our VW campers (87 Westie, 99 Winnebago) get mineral-based oil as they run hard or not at all and get changed at the proper intervals.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Switch went fine, albeit with help from trusted local service station. I brought them my Synthetic oil and filter and they changed it for $10 US -- which I thought was a fair price. They actually vacuumed, washed and checked air in the tires.

No leaks and car runs like velvet. I make sure I run on premium unleaded, also. Need to replace air cleaner and I will be good for 10k miles, I think.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
geewiz