Oil Leak after Timing Belt Change

I had my A4 1.8T timing belt changed by an independent garage, along with water pump, accessory belts, etc. about 5000 miles ago. Almost immediately afterward, I noticed what appeared to be a an oil spray all over the front of the engine compartment. The spray and associated smell disappeared after a couple hundred miles, and engine fluids looked okay, so I didn't worry about it.

However, oil is still leaking from somewhere in the engine compartment sufficiently enough to drip from just about every surface on the underside of the engine, onto the belly pan, and from there onto the garage floor. I changed the engine oil a couple days ago, and wiped up the underside of the engine pretty well, cleaned the belly pan, and after a couple hundred miles the oil is again leaking sufficiently to coat the underside of the engine and drip from the belly pan onto the garage floor. This leak was not present prior to the timing belt change or, if it was, it certainly wasn't severe enough to be this noticeable.

The oil appears to be motor oil, though I haven't noticed a drop in the crankcase oil level. I am perplexed as to the source, and wonder if it could have been caused or aggravated by the shop in the course of changing the timing belt. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, JKG

Reply to
Jonathan Goodish

How much did an indy charge for this job? I have been quoted $1,500 by Audi.

Thanks.

Reply to
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

I believe it was around $500 in labor, plus parts.

JKG

Reply to
Jonathan Goodish

Did they change the seals also? If so maybe one, or more, were incorrectly installed. :-( If not maybe they should have changed them while in there.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

if the damn thing leaks oil don't sound like the indy price of $500 is always going to be a deal.

Strange how someone would not see the problems you had and is just looking at the bottom line. It was just a thought.

Reply to
ian

Well, $500 was for the labor, there was another $400+ in parts, so with sales tax and all it was around $1,000. A little cheaper than the dealer, but not a lot cheaper than the dealer. The independent shop seems to have a good reputation, but the car may end up at the dealer because I don't want to ignore this leak.

I don't know that the independent shop caused it, but something they did either caused it, made it worse, or the timing was terribly coincidental.

JKG

Reply to
Jonathan Goodish

Well I have seen an 88 Golf GT that had a nasty oil leak. It had just come back from the VW dealer where they had only done a timing belt. Oil was almost pouring out of the timing cover area. The tech had damaged the crankshaft oil seal carrier by, I will assume, inserting a long bolt through the crank sprocket. I guess he was trying to remove the pulleys from the sprocket and had the bolt(s) in the wrong holes. After another carrier and new seal = all is dry again. Owner of the Golf did not want to take it back to the dealer.

And on an Audi 80 that same VW/Audi dealer replaced a timing belt and had if off by one notch. I called the service manager and informed them of this minor mistake. He replied that they don't make mistakes like that. OMG! lol

Mistakes can happen by anyone. Take it back to the shop that did the work and see what they say! If they are honorable they will correct any mistakes they might have done/created. JMHO

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

Reply to