Odd, temporary power loss

1987 Scirocco 16V.

I've had the car a month now, and this is the first glitch.

I'm sitting at a stop light, and the RPM suddenly drops to 400 or so. Blipped the gas and it drop another hundred or more. Managed to get it up to 2,000 or better then tried to move it and it had no power. Played it to get it out of the intersection then rolled (downhill, thankfully) into the parking lot I was going to and pulled into a space, all this time with the clutch on the floor, just using gravity. Just before I rolled into the space, the idle popped back up to 1,200 (where it usually idles with the A/C on). Put it in gear and moved it around... all it normal. Total duration of problem was maybe two minutes. Have had no further problems.

What should I be looking for to prevent a repeat?

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Could be a fuel pump going bad.

Reply to
Papa

One of the first things I suspected. Thanks for mentioning it. Makes me feel it's a bit more likely than just my own supposition.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

It happened to me. Left me and 3 others stranded for a couple of hours. It was the external pump, which finally failed completely after causing problems like yours for a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Papa

Reply to
Papa

Well, it's not THAT expensive. I suppose I can replace it and see if it does the trick. I've also noticed, since the initial problem, that at high speeds (70 MPH or higher) where it feels like it's going to die for just a fraction of a second, then goes on.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Reply to