Oil-Pan Shroud Question

The car is an '01 Jetta, base 2.0L engine. It has the shroud around the oil pan, lined with foam. With every oil change, more oil gets into the foam, both from the drain plug and the filter. The foam is thoroughly saturated with oil.

Changed the oil Sunday morning, and noticed a couple of spots on the driveway afterward. A look underneath shows some drops about to fall from the shroud. My problem is, I can't tell if these drops are from the saturated foam, an under-tightened filter, an under-tightened drain plug, bad gasket, etc.

I'd like to get rid of the shroud and foam. How difficult is it to remove the shroud altogether, and are there any reasons that this can't be done? I assume it's there for sound deadening, and I assume that the sound with it removed can't be any worse than any other engine without a similar shroud -- in other words, not that bad.

Anyone done this before?

Reply to
Brian Running

It's relatively easy to remove the shield - an 8 mm allen socket, a screwdriver to pry with... I recommend that you remove it, take the foam out, and reinstall the shroud - it's to keep rocks from going through the oil pan (I'm assuming that you have the metal shroud as opposed to the plastic one). You wouldn't believe the number of oil pans that we get in with holes in them from running over things.

Reply to
Paul

I believe the thing is primarily meant to smooth the under carriage for aerodynamics.

TBerk Protection from ROCKS? :\

So, the shroud mounting screws are not also the oil-pan screws, I can remove the shroud without loosening the oil pan itself? I'll give it a whirl.

Reply to
Brian Running

You're talking about a different thing altogether, T. I'm referring to the metal shroud that covers the oil pan, not the plastic pan that mounts with the 4 Torx screws beneath the radiator. The oil-pan shroud surely wouldn't help aerodynamics, and protection from rocks and other debris seems like a plausible purpose. I assumed it was noise deadening because of the foam.

Reply to
Brian Running

Ok... logic/common sense scenario/question: (and not to be a prick, just to answer a question)

Facts:

  1. The oil pan is basically the lowest hanging part of the car, aside from the subframe, control arms, and exhaust - it's only about 1/2" higher than any of these.

  1. The oil pan is naturally "aerodynamic" - more so than the shield.

  2. The oil pan is the first major component to hit a boulder, dog, curb, etc in the event of road debris.

  1. Aluminum is softer than iron, steel, etc.

  2. The rest of the underside of the car is NOT aerodynamic.

  1. The car, when equipped properly, has "aerodynamic" plastic covers between the radiator and the oil pan.

So... you're driv> > It's relatively easy to remove the shield - an 8 mm allen socket, a

Reply to
Paul

T - I realized after I posted that you were talking about an entirely different piece - my apologies for any rudeness.

:-S

Reply to
Paul

s'OK, for my part I haven't been up under a 'modern' VW since the introduction of the New Beetle, which I saw up on a rack in Sunnyvale CA at the dealer rollout party.

All I remember is the aero shield, not any oil pan covering, so either I missed it (likely) or it came later.

I learned something and am happy for having dome so.

Leave it or take it off, is it oily due to leaks or human intervention- that's back on topic.

TBerk