1997 Olds Aurora 4.0L Oil Pan

I unfortunately craked my oil pan and need to replace it. However, it appears the pan can not be removed with out the removal of an exhaust pipe that is installed tightly underneath the pan. Has anyone had to replace this pan that can give me some insight in how to proceed?. Even unbolting the exhaust on the front side of engine may not allow pan out. Do i cut it and try to havfe it welded? Any suggestions? thanks, 0-eric

Reply to
Metz Family

You have to remove the subframe and transmission in order to get the exhaust pipe out. Only then can you get the pan out. Sorry, that's the only way to do it. I've done plenty of these style of engines and this is the only "proper" way to do the job. I've heard of people cutting the exhaust, but I can't see how anyone could do a proper job of rewelding the pipe and heat shields back together in the limited space. What a hack job that would be!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai