Oil Pressure 85/86 1.6 TD Jetta

My 85 Jetta with 197xxx miles is getting the flashing/buzzing oil pressure light. Upon hooking up an oil pressure gauge, I have noted that my pressure at 2000 rpm is right about 21 psi (right on the edge of 1.4 bar) It started gradually upon deceleration from continued high speed driving, and now pretty much happens when it warms up. So it seems that the warning system is giving me good info.

No what do I do short of a major rebuild? Runs great, otherwise. Can I put new bearings in while the engine is still in the car?

Can I put a pice of electrical tape over the the light? :)~

Reply to
marko66

Hi, Tape works on the light but you'll need tape on the ears to drown out the buzzing warning sound. Just kidding, what weight oil are you running? I have an '85 Golf with similar symptoms. My oil pressure light and buzzer went off during sustained moderate driving when it was warm--i.e., city driving at 55-60 km/hr (that'd be like your 30-35 mph). Revving the engine would solve the symptoms for a short time. I thought it was a low oil pressure issue. The original car manual spec'd 10-30W oil. When I mentioned the problem to the fellow at the independent vw parts store he said the current spec is 10-40W in that vintage of auto. I tried 10-40W and the thicker viscosity did the trick, we haven't heard the buzzer or seen the light since. Try that, it's an easier and less expensive fix than rebuilding.

-Tony

Reply to
tonyw