passat oil

I have a year 2002 passat 2.0 litre petrol engine.It has now covered just over

8ooo mile.I have had to top up the oil twice, each time with approx 1 cup of oil is this normal.Is the engine still bedding in.The car runs fine but is mainly used for short journeys. I have a 1990 golf which i have had for 11 years and i never need to top up in between oil changes.
Reply to
Benno

I have a year 2002 passat 2.0 litre petrol engine.It has now covered just over

8ooo mile.I have had to top up the oil twice, each time with approx 1 cup of oil is this normal.Is the engine still bedding in.The car runs fine but is mainly used for short journeys. I have a 1990 golf which i have had for 11 years and i never need to top up in between oil changes.
Reply to
Benno
8oz in 4000 miles... you done good!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I don't think that's normal. I have 50,000 miles on my 99 Passat and I have never needed to add oil between changes.

Reply to
JeffN

Is yours a 1.8t engine? If so they use very little oil. Also what is your change interval?

Reply to
Woodchuck

My personal 99 GLX Passat used 1/2qt(10w30) in the first 5000miles I have had it... and I'm happy! I just switched to 5w40 VW spec Castrol synthetic and will see what happens over the next 5000miles.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
JeffN