"Piggybacking" a car/pickup on the frame of a semi tractor

Will need to do this in the near future, not getting a lot of solid info from the drivers forums:)

Link below gives some of the helpful and less than helpful comments:

thanks

gary

Reply to
vrgolf

Just a hint, many here won't go to an external link... Provide more information in your post and you'll likely get more responses...

Reply to
PeterD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Report this postReply with quoteRe: Decked trucks, and the car on the frame by dak1 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:33 pm

I think he is referring to cars we sometimes see mounted where the 5 wheel is but over the 5 wheel on the frame for transport or "piggy back" as some refer to it. These set ups might be what we call "drive away" services, they are delivering a tractor and have their own car with them for the return trip.

Or it could be an O/O that bought a tractor out of state and drove his car to pick up the truck and piggy backed his car back.

I never paid much attention to the rigging of those set ups. I have seen many over the years.dak1 Rhodium 10K member Posts: 16780 Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 7:48 am Private messageTop

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Edit postReport this postReply with quoteRe: Decked trucks, and the car on the frame by g556 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:03 am

That's it exactly, 2-4 tractors, first is power, rest are "decked", nose high, sometimes no steer tires, front drive axle is off the ground.

Car or pickup, on "rails" on the rear of the of the last tractor.

dak1 wrote: I think he is referring to cars we sometimes see mounted where the 5 wheel is but over the 5 wheel on the frame for transport or "piggy back" as some refer to it. These set ups might be what we call "drive away" services, they are delivering a tractor and have their own car with them for the return trip.

Or it could be an O/O that bought a tractor out of state and drove his car to pick up the truck and piggy backed his car back.

I never paid much attention to the rigging of those set ups. I have seen many over the years.g556 Senior member Posts: 39 Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2000 12:00 am Private messageTop

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Report this postReply with quoteRe: Decked trucks, and the car on the frame by dak1 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:29 am

When you see tractors and straight trucks like that, I have always known it as "piggy back". There are different set up configurations for piggy backed tractors and straight trucks but they serve the same purpose. All our new trucks from the factory are piggy backed in and we piggy back our old tractors out to the dealer that bought them back on trade in.dak1 Rhodium 10K member Posts: 16780 Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 7:48 am Private messageTop

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Report this postReply with quoteRe: Decked trucks, and the car on the frame by Raoul Duke on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 am

g556 wrote: Anybody know if the setup on the rails of the rear tractor is a commercial product or something cobbled together by the company or the drivers themselves?

thanks

gary I spoke with a recruiter at a drive-away company several years ago and asked him the same thing. He told me that there was a local company that their drivers used to build the rig on an as-needed basis. In other words, each one was custom built., , , ,Raoul Duke Gold member Posts: 1234 Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:03 pm Location: Southern Ontario Private messageE-mailTop

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Edit postReport this postReply with quoteRe: Decked trucks, and the car on the frame by g556 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:07 am

What company, and where are they located?

thanks

Raoul Duke wrote: g556 wrote: Anybody know if the setup on the rails of the rear tractor is a commercial product or something cobbled together by the company or the drivers themselves?