Turbo diesel in an '85 4wd pickup

Hi group, new to the toyota group. Can any one direct me to some information on a '85 TD 4wd pickup. I'm looking at one thats being advertised for sale
locally. I haven't been able to see it yet, but I am looking for some information or specs on the T.D. engine & truck.
Thanks.
Not a US imported model --- there was a straight diesel and a Turbo 22RET.

Maybe it's a 22RET that sounds like a diesel...
Sorry... :<((
Tom -- Vista, CA ----------------
Wolfgang wrote:

Hmm, thanks folks. I will investigate. Talking to the seller by e-mail, he says its a turbo diesel '85.
Let me confirm what you're saying, There was no option for a TD in '85. Just N/A diesel, turbo gasser, & N/A gasser.
So there is a couple options then? #1-turbo diesel grafted in from some other application. #2-it is infact a naturally aspirated diesel. #3-it is the turbo gasser.

sale

It could be a Canadian TD truck 'grey-market' imported to the USA, or it may have started life as a USA spec diesel truck and the turbo (or a TD engine) was swapped in after the fact.
Post the VIN here, and one of the dealer people can parse out what engine it came with from the factory.
Before you buy, find a Dealer MDT or factory-trained Ex-Dealer mechanic who really knows their Diesels (you may have to hunt for one) and have it checked out. Diesels are more robust and reliable - but as the downside, when they break they're more expensive to fix.
And if the truck was imported from Canada to the US and was not done through the proper channels, you may get into BIG troubles when you try to redo the registration. (If it has a Kilometer-marked speedometer and odometer with the MPH on the small numbers, that's a huge clue...) Confirm with the DMV that it's all clear to go before you write the check.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 23:53:10 +0000, Demon wrote:

Diesels were available for several years in the 80's. Unfortunately, Toyota and most other automakers don't have their act together enough today to market diesels in the US.
You can get most any info you require here:
http://toyotadieselmadness.com /
Toyota did sell diesel pickups & 4-Runners in the USA but they were rare and Canada sold more,for complete info:
These are 11 Toyota DIESEL 4-Runner/pickup sites:
http://www.sr5.net/bbs/index.sht http://www.toyotadiesel.com/phpBB2 http://www.toyotadiesel.com / http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyotadieselclub http://pub12.ezboard.com/btoyotasurfdownunder http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum http://groups.msn.com/toyotasurf/shoebox.msnw http://www.yotasurf.com/forums/index.php ? http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/index.php http://www.offroadpakistan.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=8 http://clean4x4.com / http://jplan.com/cgi-bin/tractor/forum.pl?category=TOY&catname=Toyota%20Pickup%20Trucks
I have an updated article below containing more Japanese importers of diesel engines & complete vehicles:
The way the price of gasoline (petrol for Australians) is going I suggest that everyone convert their Toyotas to diesel as they are more:
fuel efficient higher torque waterproof simpler reliable safer can idle all day long less overheat episodes can burn bio diesel or vegetable oil (without glycerin)
Well to help everyone dismiss the myth that Toyota diesel pickups & SUV's are rare in USA & Canada I have included below a list of very resourcefull links that contain places to buy diesel engines/parts and complete rigs.
Toyota diesel engines models: 2L's, 2L-T's, 3L's and 5L 's for sale in the greater Los Angeles area:
Engine Trend Inc George 4515 S.Soto Street Los Angeles,CA 90058 USA Ph:1-800-939-3295 Ph:(323) 589-2844 http://www.enginetrend.com
Spector Offroad Marv 21600 Nordhoff St Chatsworth,CA 91311 USA Ph:(818) 882-1238 http://www.sor.com
Reseda Engines in Northridge Danny 8644 Darby Ave Northridge,CA 91325 USA Ph:(818) 349-7472
Jarco USA 194 Gateway Dr Canton,Georgia 30115 USA Ph:(770) 479-4942 Fax:(770) 479-4948 Operator:James Stettler http://www.jarcoinc.com E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@jarcoinc.com E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@jarcoinc.com E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@jarcoinc.com E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@jarcoinc.com http://www.asapmotors.com/services/toyota-diesel-engine.htm
For Japanese imported diesel Toyota SUV's & pickup trucks:
http://www.uniqueautoimports.com http://www.mustang.bc.ca/lc.htm http://www.outbackimports.ca/index.html http://www.luxuryimports.ca/vehicles/toyotaforsale.php http://www.risingsunimports.ca / http://www.hj61.com / http://www.jns-imports.com/importinfo / http://www.batfa.com/usedvehicles-toyota-stock.html http://www.geocities.jp/kktrading_aurora /
Sidney Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada 1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 244 000 KM
Demon wrote:

We're not refutting that there were diesel PUs --- just that they didn't come to US from the factory with a turbo on them. I never did see a 4Rnr in US with a diesel though --- bet that was a slug!
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada 1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 244 000 KM
Demon wrote:

I should have given a little more info though I guess. I am in Calgary AB Canada. I'm a 3rd year HD mechanic, I work for the Cat dealer here (Finning) So I'm more than familiar with a diesel engine, but the ones I work on usually displace 2.4L per piston, not per engine, if you know what I mean. I just don't really know anything about Toyotas in general and what kind of engine options they had availiable.
I was looking at it to drive to work and back. Is there anything I should be looking at as specific sore spots or known problem areas on this mid-'80s style pickup?
Thanks again.
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 08:56:25 +0000, Demon wrote:

Don't let it overheat. The 2L series had a habit of cracking heads. I've been told that the 2LT2 engines had thicker heads but I don't know this for sure.
These engines are fairly tough. I would not hesitate to pick one up if I had the chance. Keep up with filter and oil changes. You could sell this truck in the states in a matter of minutes for a premium. Demand is very high there with no almost zero product to fill the demand.
You listening Toyota?

Ahh. If you're up north in Canuckistan ;-) that changes things, it probably came that way from the factory - the VIN will tell all.
We can't get any of the good stuff like diesels or TD's down here, even though there is a large demand from people who run other diesel equipment and already have on-site fuel tanks - farmers, contractors, trucking companies, etc.
Or people who want to keep their vehicles for 500,000 miles plus, or brew their own bio-diesel.

Only thing I can add is check for body rot, that's a regional thing.