Ping for Woodchuck about a stripped oil plug...

My oil plug seems to be stripped on my 2003 Golf. I put it back and it turns hard but didn't seem to stop turning when I tightened it.

Do they have oversize plugs I should get and use on my next oil change?

How would a dealer fix this?

thank you

Reply to
Tom Levigne

I had this happen a few years ago(about 2000) on my 1985 GTI, I had to replace the oil pan(and gasket of course), its a pretty cheap fix actually, takes very little time as well. The new oil pan comes with a new plug. Pretty amazing to see it on a 2 year old car though.

Reply to
Biz

If it was at the dealer then we would replace the oil pan. If I owned the car I would do the same considering the cost of an engine. The oversize plugs I have seen are a cheap fix, but you may want to see if the local autoparts has a heli-coil kit in the same size as the plug. If you go for the dealer replacement figure 2 hours tops for labor + pan + sealant.

Reply to
Woodchuck

OK, thanks to both of you. TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Why did the dealer buy this from him? Reason?

Reply to
Peter Parker

Because they can sell the part as a refurbished unit for more then he wanted for it - Volvo guys are almost as bad, perhaps worse then VW guys for seeking out bargain parts.... 960 parts are fairly hard to come by used (fairly rare car, very few of them have bit the dust) so reconditioned parts, when availible are quite the commodity.

I'm looking for a new radio for ours.... $350 for a refurbished, $800 for a new one..... All the parts on this car are super expensive when they finally break.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You are right. I would never have thought of buying something refurbished from a dealer. I didn't even think they would sell something like this.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

All VW dealers are supposed to only sell VW parts, from VW Corporate...that being said, many dealers carry a line of aftermarket parts, that are made by the OEM...they just don't have the purdy VW logo.

refurbished

Reply to
Pete Cressman