Power Steering in an '84 Diesel Rabbit?

This may sound like a stupid question, but I need to replace the left tie rod on my '84 diesel rabbit. After some quick searching online for the part, I discovered that there are tie rods for rabbits with power steering and those without. I don't know whether I have power steering. My rabbit owner's manual mentions power steering, but has an asterisk next to it and and the asterisk says "where applicable". I don't think I see a power steering reservoir under my hood, but I don't know where to look. Can somebody tell me where this reservoir would be located if I had one?

Thanks! Bryan Walton

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

My '88 Cabbie (not a diesel) has the power steering reservoir located near the front of the engine compartment, on the right side (as you look from the driver's seat). It is up high where it is easy to get to, and is made of white plastic, about 4 inches in diameter. The top of the reservoir is black, and there is a red screw cap that is removable in order to add power steering fluid.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Papa

There's a very easy way to find out. Start your engine, and attempt to turn your steering wheel with no more than 2 fingers of your dominant hand while the vehicle is not moving. If you manage that without almost breaking your fingers, your car has got power-steering.

Reply to
René

It's not quite that easy, Rene. More effort than 2 fingers is required when stationary.

Reply to
Papa

We could say that power steering will make it much easier with the engine running than without.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Thanks Ren\xE9, I gave that a try. I could move the wheel with two fingers, but had to really work at it. Then for comparison, I tried the same thing in another car that I know has power steering, and it was probably 20 times easier. So I'm going to assume that my rabbit does not have power steering (which was my assumption going in, given that I couldn't find the reservoir for it). And that is probably all the better for my sake, the tie rod I need to purchase will therefore be considerably cheaper. :-) Thanks everybody for the help!

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

You mean you didn't at least look? Power steering for your Rabbit is a lot more stiff when the car is stationary than most other cars. Don't make the mistake of buying the wrong parts. All that does is double your costs. Better to just take your car to a VW service department than make guesses.

Reply to
Papa

Yes, I looked. I mentioned in my original post that I had looked and not seen a reservoir for it, but wasn't sure exactly where it was located -- hence asking the list. Nobody told me exactly where it should be located for an '84 diesel rabbit, so I went with René advice. I'll look again, but I still don't know exactly where underneath the hood it is located.

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Reply to