screwy upshift setup in '84 turbo diesel rabbit?

Somebody appears to have done something screwy to the upshift indicator on my newly-purchased '84 turbo diesel rabbit. Instead of the normal setup as the manual says, some previous owner wired up the oil LED! Has anybody ever seen this before?

Reply to
Reid Fleming

Did the diesel really have an upshift light? I think the only time I drove a diesel Rabbit was maybe in 1977 or 1978. On a gas 1981-1984 Rabbit there are two oil pressure switches. If your engine does not have the correct pressure at about 3,000 rpms the oil light will turn on. The cure on my Rabbits was to run a slightly thicker oil as the engine seemed to have proper clearance on the rod and main bearings as per a plastiguage check.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Yep. My (long gone) 84 Jetta TD had an upshift indicator.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

I'll bet it wasn't an LED. ;-)

Reply to
Tom's VR6

My 82 nonTD diesel Rabbit 340k has upshift indicator, lighted arrow in the middle of dash. It was partially controlled by two throttle switches, mounted on top of the fuel pump, one idle, one 70 percent. These connect to a plug-in module which book says (in the case of 84) is on very top row of fuse/relay panel, taped to right side of panel.

Upshift Relay also connects to the manual transmission switch, which has multi-position contacts, actuates the backup lights too. Adding to fun, different versions of transmission switch used as replacement had different pin-out connections, needing rewire the plug connector.

The oil pressure LED actuates directly by either main low pressure switch, or by the oil pressure relay (right-most 2nd from bottom) which combines a (2nd) dynamic low pressure switch with RPM sensing. Does sound like interesting, crossed wires? Good Luck, Rich

Reply to
Rich