Radio Power Switch/Knob for A3 Golf - Where to Find

Anyone know where I can find a radio power switch (the plastic knob thingy) for an A3 Golf (1996)? VW local dealer says they don't stock it, and he can't get it. Is a junkyard the best source?

Thanks.

Reply to
jpmccormac

Is it a stock VW radio or an aftermarket radio? In either case you might be able to find a knob that fits your radio at (of all places) Radio Shack. Sometimes they, and other retailers, will have a grab bag of various knobs - one of which may fit.

However, I am wondering if you are actually talking about the power switch that is an integral part of the radio. Most radios these days have a push button, rather than a knob, for power.

Reply to
Papa

It's a stock VW radio in my '96 Golf. It's a small knob that turns the radio On and Off, just like in olden days. I'll try Radio Shack. Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
jpmccormac

I fixed mine with some ABS cement and a paperclip. The ABS cement 'glues' the split in the 'shaft holder' back together and I wound the paper clip around the holder to reinforce it. It's not good as new, but it does work.

I'm considering replacing the whole unit, changing out the 10 year old speakers, etc, etc. Seems the tech has changed a bunch in the last 10 years. MP3's, CD's in dash, satellite radio... Video and in dash navigation too, but not me!

It's still cheaper than a car payment ;)

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

In the old days, you twisted the knob counterclockwise to turn off the radio.

I think I lost a bit of the plastic that broke off, but the metal insert would hold loosely to the remainder. I used a bit of heat shrink tubing slipped over the back knob center , and I forget if I supplanted that with a tad of glue before carefully applying the heat.

Reply to
Tom's VR6