Intermittent starting - 1996 VW golf auto

My mum's 1996 VW Golf auto (1.6l IIRC) has developed an intermittent starting problem - sometimes the car won't start in Park, but will be OK in Neutral.

She took it to the local main dealer and they ran a diagnostics check (check 5051). Apparently, this didn't indicate any logged faults, so for some reason they changed the ignition switch (and charged her nearly £90 for the work).

To me, who's used to old fashioned autos, given the symptoms, I assumed it was a fault with the gearbox interlock switch, so my questions for the collective are: does a 1996 auto Golf have a conventional interlock switch (and if so, where is it located - on the GB or in the passenger compartment on the gear selection lever)? If not, it must have some kind of interlock, where is this located and is it possible to check and/or change it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Clive

Is it always okay neutral? Doesn't the manual say something about always starting the engine in neutral? Never driven an automatic so wouldn't know. If it sometimes does it in Neutral then its something to do with the ignition, starter motor would be first port of call.

Reply to
Joe

From what she said (after I told her she can start the car in both Park and Neutral - she's only had the can for the last eight years!!), if there is a problem with starting in park, moving back and forward between drive and park, and then retrying in P doesn't cure it, but she can always start it in N.

As for the manual, I know know about the Golf, but for my wife's Galaxy and Volvo before that, neither stated a preference for starting in either P or N, although my Advanced Driving instructor suggested if you're going to move off forwards, it is worth starting in N because even though it is for a fraction of a second, moving from P to D will pass through reverse and adds to the wear and tear on the GB. Makes sense to me!

Reply to
Clive

I'll have a browse in my haynes manual when i get home from work, will let you know.

Reply to
Joe

Pretty well all autos can be started in either neutral or park.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The most likely guess is where the selector mechanism enters the box. Could be an oil leak onto the switch is causing the problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)