1987 Golf GTI stock radio is locked out

I just purchased a 16 valve1987 GTI with 123,000 orginial miles on it for $450.00 from the original owner. It appears that the stock stereo/radio has gone into an "anti-theft" mode and displays the word "SAFE" in the LCD display. Also, you are unable to change to another station with any button. I was going to contact the dealer Monday but I thought I would check here first. Right now, I am having a local VW shop run through it and change the timing belt, water pump, axle seals, one axel, and perform a general tune up.

Oh, the main radio plastic button appears to be cracked or something. It won't stay on the shaft and it appears that someone did a pretty bad job of trying to glue it into place with what appears to be pink body filler.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

Check the manual. There should be a 4 digit code somewhere, and the procedure on how to enter it.

Reply to
René

The code to reset the radio will have been with the original car documents. Reset commands are explained in the manual. If not, you may have to go to a VW dealer for the reset.

My radio power switch also cracked. You can probably find one at a junk yard or VW dealer. It can't cost too much, right. Well, it is a VW part.....

Reply to
jpmccormac

Well Said JP!!

Although, I must say, I once owned a Porsche 914 (the Volkswagen Porshe) and talk about pricey!!!! I can't complain now that I have a plain Volkswagen.

Dave

Reply to
David Craig