Re: naive question about battery, 96 Jetta GL

It appears my car got a dead battery--the car wont start, engine wont crank

>and whenever I turn the ignition every light I turn on got dimmer. Since it >was a sudden death I do not think it is the problem of starter or spark >plug. >This does not surprise me since the previous owner had been pretty hard on >the >car and I do not doubt he never changed the battery. So my first guess is to >find a replacement from local auto store and change it. Before going there, >I >opened the hood and took a final look at the battery to eliminate the >possibility that a stupid mistake was made, like short or something. What >I saw confused me. The battery only got 3 posts connected, which there exist >four metal posts. Since I have never changed a battery on my own, I do not >know if it is right for the battery to be connected this way. Please let me >know your thoughts about it. Thanks! > > >
3 posts on a battery?

No.

A battery has 2 post, one positive, one negative.

It could be a dead battery, a loose/dirty connection, a bad starter.

How old is the battery? If it's over 5 years old it's probably that.

Reply to
Dave

If it looks old then change the battery! Most AutoZones, PepBoys, Advanced Auto do a battery check for FREE and even replace the battery too.

Reply to
Woodchuck

What ever you do, read the instructions on how to shut off the alarm after installation of the new battery BEFORE you put it back in. There isn't anything like being the neighborhood entertainment while the alarm goes off when putting the darned thing back in.

Reply to
Rich Dowdell

Some batteries have four posts because they were made to support TOP posts attachments or SIDE posts. It looks like in your case the previous owner took advantage of one of these two extra connections to hook something up.

TBerk

Reply to
T Berk