Re: Volkswagen's Sales Drop 17.5%

Five cylinder. Odd number engines give me concern.

Reply to
Ears

VW/Audi had a 5 cylinder over 20 years ago and it was rock solid. Not sure about this new 1/2 a Lamborghini (sp) engine though. Reminds me of

1/2 of an IH 304 (152) engine in my '67 Scout.
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

They shouldn't; if they are balanced right.

Reply to
rikoski

There may be conditions under which a 5-cylinder engine is _smoother_ than a straight-4. The former should have a power-stroke every 144 degrees, while the latter gets one every 180 degrees. Since a power-stroke lasts for 180 degrees, this means that for a five cylinder engine a power-stroke is always in effect.

Besides the Audi I-5, there are some other notable I-5 engines out there. Volvo has made/used one for about 20 years - this one was designed by Porsche, and therefore may have the same heritage as the Audi I-5.

I think the Hummer H3 also has a five cylinder engine.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

I had a 5 cylinder Mercedes turbo diesel; a boat to be sure but it was smooth and got out of its own way.

I sold it, in fine shape, at 150,000 miles.

Reply to
rikoski

Was it a 300TD or 300D? If so, a fine automobile. Extremely reliable, fairly economical, and smooth. I've known them to run for more than

300,000 miles.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

1983 300 Turbo Diesel.

I liked my 1981 240D better though. More nimble.

Reply to
rikoski