Re: VW Golf 3 rear fog lights

I was wondering if somebody from the US could please tell me how the rear

> lights of a VW Golf 3 light up. I've included a picture to make it easier > to > explain. > In Europe they work like this : > A Turn signal > B Backing up lights > C Brake lights > D Normal lights > E Rear fog lights > > I've seen imported Golf's that have their rear lights set up like this : > A turn signal > B backing up lights > C + D normal lights > E brake lights > > I want to know what is being used as a rear fog light in the US. I want to > make an adapter so my rear lights work like the US version, but I need to > know what is being used as the rear fog lights before I can start making > the > adapter. > > Thanks, > > Maarten.

In the US we don't have rear fog lights. Even the switch is different and has not read fog light position.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You can buy the Euro switch on VWVotex (do a search) for about $40. There is also instuctions on how to wire it up with just a piece of wire and a bulb. I believe that C. in your picture of the tailight is the one used for the rear foglight.

David Michalski , D.V.M.

-='04 VW R32 & '01 GTI GLX Have Chip Will Travel

Reply to
VW R32

I think you have it backwards... he wants to convert his euro switch and euro tail lights to the American setup...

All we have here is "on" and "off" for the lights... no fog lights for the rear.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

That's what it sounded like to me too...and I ask...uh...why? Euro setup is better.

But maybe it's a case of wanting to have what the other has...

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It's just wanting to be different with stock parts. I could install aftermarket headlights, taillights, bumpers etc. but it generally makes selling the car harder. Somebody who is 40+ often doesn't like Lexus-look taillights, or Golf 4 look headlights etc., but they often do notice you have the GTI / VR6 headlights and smoke taillights.

But I guessÍ'll go with my backup plan then. It'll just be a little more work to get ik looking nicely. I'll use C, D, and E as normal rear lights (all three at once, making it nice and big), but with a resistor so the lights won't light up too bright. Then I'll use C and D as my braking lights (running a higher voltage through them so they do light up bright), and I'll keep on using E as as my rear fog light in short this will mean : lights on : C D and E light up normally lights on + brake : C and D light up bright, E lights up normally lights on + fog : C and D light up normally, E lights up extra bright. lights on + brake + fog : C and D light up bright, E lights up extra bright

I just wonder how those imported A3's get through the M.O.T. as you need a working rear fog light :S.

"Matt B." schreef in bericht news:whEfd.80907$cJ3.31887@fed1read06...

Reply to
Maarten de Heus

Yeah I wonder about that too when I see US-spec cars overseas (e.g.: 80s Ford Tauruses with (terrible) US spec headlamps).

And here I've seen some Euro ones that I wonder how they got registered. I remember back in the late 1980s I saw an Opel sedan (not sure which one...an Omega maybe?) with Arizona plates that looked completely Euro (didn't look like anything was done to it).

Reply to
Matt B.