A2 Steering Wheel

I was trying to swap wheels from my parked 86 Jetta into my 91 Jetta, but found there is a different hub size (91 is larger).

Anyone know which year A2's (or even other years) will work easily without any adapter?

The plastic on my 91's wheel seems to have gotten rigid, and on cold days, the horn goes off all the time. I thought it was a worn contact, as I had that happen on an a1, but that contact seems fine.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Reply to
Tony Bad

VW steering wheels up to about 89 have a more coarse toothing, the later have a finer toothing. All A2s have the same (coarse)toothing on the steering column, but the later ones use an adapter - this explains the bigger diameter. The adapter is hard to get off, requires a puller that really fits.

Have you checked the insulation of the cable inside the column?

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

On my A2 I have had a problem with the horn as well. After you take off the steering wheel, you will find three brass screws holding the steering column switches in place, one at 2 O'clock, one at 6 O'clock and one at 10 O'clock. My 6 O'clock screw was loose and caused the some part of the brush / slip ring setup to short to ground.

Reply to
Randolph

Thanks, I'll check that out. Of course it is happening just as my inspection is up and needs re-newing!

Reply to
Tony Bad