Rear Defroster not working

Hello,

I have 92 Passat. Now that the weather is getting colder, I have noticed the rear defogger is not working. The button that clicks it on no longer lights up. An no rear defrosting happens.

Any suspicions as to what the problem is? The heater core was fixed last April - related.

Over the summer I never required the rear defroster, so of course I noticed it when I needed it.

Electrical? Fuse gone?

Suggestions what to check out?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

Reply to
Tavish Muldoon

If fuse is good then replace the switch!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Could well be.

The rear window/mirror defogger on my Scirocco didn't work from when I bought it. I'd checked the fuse, and it was OK, so I'd assumed a break in the system somewhere, but didn't have time to track it down then. I finally got around to doing a real debug on it and found that there was nothing coming out of the switch. When I took it apart the inside of the switch was melted. I got three more from the bone yard, the extras because I was expecting to use up one or two finding the short I assumed was in the system somewhere. The first one worked fine and has continued to do so for over a year. I have no idea how the original switch got melted. I've found a couple of intersting mods in the electrical system (such as an odd day-time running lights sort of thing), so I suspect the previous owner shorted it while tinkering.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Reply to