Rear Shoulder Belts in a Rabbit

So I've been googling through the archives looking for information on retrofitting shoulder belts into the back seat of my '84 Rabbit. I found a few previous threads of people who were interested in doing so. But I didn't find anybody saying that they succeeded or failed in their attempts:

Person attempting to retrofit into '86 Golf:

Person attempting to retrofit '84 GTI:
Person attempting to retrofit Rabbit (don't know year):
In addition to the 2 lapbelt mount points, there needs to be a mount point for the loop (I believe that exists behind the headliner material). There also needs to be a mount point for the reel that takes up the slack. In that '86 Golf thread above, someone says that mount point is on top of the rear wheel arch. I can't find such a mount point on my '84 Rabbit.

To the point, has anybody done such a retrofit in an '84 or earlier Rabbit? If so, how? Or can anybody tell me they tried and failed?

Thanks! Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

1991-1993 Cabriolets (a1 platform, like the Rabbit) had rear shoulder belts, but the retractors were welded into the car, according to
. The a1 Golf is still made and sold in South Africa as the CitiGolf, but it is not obvious from
whether it has rearshoulder belts (no pictures of the rear seat, and nothing in the specsto mention it). Even if rear shoulder belts are in the CitiGolf, theymay be mounted in a way that is different from the mounting points inan 1984 Rabbit.
Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Very interesting links. Thanks for providing them. I was out tonight examing the back of my rabbit. I think I might be able to mount the reel to one of the reinforced rear bumper mounts and then thread the belt through the speaker grills to the belt loop and then down to the floor. I don't have the belts yet, but it looks like this might be an option.

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Are you sure you have seats that will not cause more damage than good in the case where a shoulderbelt comes into action in an accident? As I recall, the back seats in those cars weren't that high. If you don't have a headrest there as a whiplash preventive in a collision, you can really hurt yourself badly. This is the reason that cars with shoulder belts always have headrests, whereas cars without them didn't used to.

Reply to
Andrew Sullivan

Thakns for the reply. That is definitely an interesting idea. Although my 2003 Ford Focus has shoulder belts three across in the rear and no head rest support (the top of the back seat is below my head). I'm not saying it is a good design, but that I don't think I'd be doing something any worse.

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

You can look at a lot of pickup trucks that have shoulder harnesses with no head restraints. Of course not having head restraints is a poor design.

Reply to
Jim Behning

My guess is that no shoulder belts and no headrests is a coincidental combination and not intentional. Back then in the early 80s and earlier, rear head restraints and shoulder belts were just a rarity. I'm no crash safety expert but I just don't see how a shoulder belt + no-headrest would be a bad combo.

Reply to
Matt B.

You might want to check again for "official" rear seat shoulder belt mounting points (perhaps hidden behind some fabric or carpet). Many cars of the 1970s and late 1960s had them, although the rear seat shoulder belts themselves were a very rarely asked for dealer installed accessory. But I recall the owner's manual of a 1978 Chevrolet describing those belts and their use.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

From the late 1960s to the early 1980s, Volvos had rear seat shoulder belts (which were rare in other cars at the time), but not rear seat head restraints.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Thanks. I'd been told that there was an "official" mount point for the reel on top of the rear wheel arch. But as it turns out, that apparently began in 1985 with the A2. The A1 appears to have the mount point for the loop up above the shoulder (hidden behind the headliner fabric) and I've found that.

However, for the life of me, I can't find an "official" mount point for the reel that takes up the slack in the belt. The official word from VW seems to be that Vanagons and A2s can be retrofitted. I guess that means that anything I do to this A1 is going to be somewhat creative.

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton