Reasons for rattles in my 2003 Golf?

VW dealer said workers are smart enough to glue wires in place that run above the headliner on cars that are made in Germany so they don't rattle but Brazilians and Mexicans don't care about this or understand why its important so its not done.

Has anybody else heard this?

Reply to
Tom Levigne

NO!

Reply to
Woodchuck

My 95 Golf recently developed a rattle that I isolated to the roof (it stopped when I pressed up on the headliner). It turned out that one of the bolts that holds the sunroof assembly to the car was a little loose. It was the bolt on the front left corner.

I peeled the sunroof trim back (it's very flexible) to get the headliner free and was just able to spring the headliner down enough to get a 1/4" drive ratchet and 10 mm socket on the offending bolt.

Maybe the rattle in your car is the same. But if it's a 2003, it's the dealer's problem. By the way, my car was made in Mexico and at nine years of age and 98K miles, it looks almost new. I have no complaints about build or material quality.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

Every person I asked ay my dealer said there is no difference between Mexico/Brazil made Golfs and German made Golfs... I keep asking, because I was hoping to get a slight price premium if I sell my "German Built 'WVW' vin#'ed" Golf TDI - Automatic next year or so... They told me that it would only be worth more to a

"older German man, who cares that all his stuff comes from Germany, or a really hard-core VW Fan who thinks he's getting a better car... there's honestly no difference, in fact the Brazilian/Mexican cars might be better since car assembly is considered a good job over there, and the employee's might take pride in their work, whereas it's kind of a mediocre job in Germany".

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I suspect Mexican and Brazilian workers don't care about it because management doesn't care. Either management has decided it does not want feedback from the people actually putting the cars together or that it is not worth doing this even if it has to be handled later. Either way, it's too bad.

sd

Reply to
sd

I can only say that when I was car shopping in the Fall of 01 I test drove every combination of A4 body and engine before buying my Golf TDI - ALL, every single one of the Mexican built cars had rattles right off the dealer lot, NON of the Brazilian or German built cars did.

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine

84 & 90 Jetta GLIs The 84 has a few rattles, but it has 330,000 miles on it, the 90 is tight as a drum at 119K. Golf had no rattles at 30K when I sold it.
Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

My friends 2004 Mexican built Jetta seems super tight, where his old 2003 Brazilian built Golf (he just HAD to have the TDI Sport edition Jetta...) had some sqeaks to it... My dad's Brazilian Golf has some rattles too... Dealer found them tho - the rest are the cases for his glasses/CDs etc...

My German Golf TDI (it's 5 years old) is driving me nuts... new sounds almost every month from the well wearing beast... 111K Kms and skyrocketing... I bought it less then 1 yr 1/2 ago with only 57K Kms... And it was pretty tight back then - I think I drive it too hard.... I drive it on terrible roads with no remorse, I corner too hard, I brake too hard when out on back roads, I accelerate too hard... I've done the tires, brakes, suspension... all with higher performance equipment, I wish there was a way to fix the interior with rattle-less fittings... The interior is just getting louder - I think my cars trying to tell me something to the tune of "I'm a diesel... go buy an Audi A4 if you want to have this much fun..."

I'm trying to kill the rattles tho... I'm copying a lot of the rubber pieces VW started to put in the later model cars to kill rattles... glovebox, around trim pieces (where they use felt) and so on....

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Mexican don't know to use the glue? Thats a good one. My 94 Jetta made south of the border is in pretty good shape mechanically for a 10+ year old. The paint has alway been subpar (never been really glossly and oxidized rapidly) but at least its still on the car.

Reply to
DriveSpy

I think you missed the point here DS - They probably know how to use glue but don't drive VW's themselves too much so they don't understand why its important to secure the wires down to prevent them from moving around in there and rattling so they don't do it as much like the book from Germany probably says they are supposed to. Hope this helps!

Reply to
Rufus McPiddlegump

Have you ever been to Mexico? There are TONS of VWs on the roads down there, ranging from old air cooled ones right up to the most current Jetta and Golf. The Jetta is a favourite for taxis. They also several VW models not available in the US or Canada.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Yes I have and they ALL ratttle! LOL! RM

Reply to
Rufus McPiddlegump

Oh I get the point. I probably didn't make my response clear. I was poking fun at the dealer actually saying something like that.

Reply to
DriveSpy