relay failure ?

85 Golf

Sometimes when I put the key into the ignition switch and start the starter, the horn(s) sound for only about a second. Is this a VW-ism? Maybe the horn relay is in failure mode. I think all VW relays are built with a solid-state (transistor and/or IC) interface and that might be the problem.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lacko

On my '87 GTi I have had issues with the horn sounding when it shouldn't. The connection between the steering wheel and the steering column is a wiper / slip ring. On mine, the wiper part had gotten sloppy and touched other metal parts every so often, thus sounding the horn. If you take off the steering wheel, you will see what I mean. I don't remember if I replaced the wiper part or if I just bent it back into shape, but my problem is solved.

Reply to
Randolph

This sounds stupid, but I'd be willing to bet money that you don't have a problem at all. I got in the habit of carrying my VW keys by themselves, because if you have other keys and/or a metal hangy thingy on the same keyring, sooner or later something will slip in between the wheel and the column and activate the horn circuit. Embarassing!

nate

Reply to
N8N

Can be worse than embarassing, I've had the "other thing" (an oddly shaped key to a lock box) get hug up on the ring contacts that operate the horn and ripped one of them out pulling it free. Well, not quite out. Just mangled it enough that the horn wouldn't shut up at all. I had to pull the wire under the hood for immediate relief, then pull the wheel when I got home and fix the mess I'd caused. '84 Scirocco in this case, but same principal.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

My 89 Jetta's horn comes on too when the house key gets in there by accident. Probably your only problem like Nate posted

Reply to
Simplstupd

Loose keys or the 3 screws are loose under the steering wheel which hold the switches down.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yea, I've read previous threads about keys touching the ignition switch ring and grounding -- so I changed the key ring. But I have changed the turn signal switch and I think I'd better look at the three screws Woodchuck pointed out! I'm not the kind of person who cranks down when torquing hardware -- I'll bet that's that problem.

Thanks All!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lacko