Replacement tires for 99.5 Jetta TDI

Folks:

I'm looking to replace my second set of tires on my 1999.5 Jetta TDI. It originally came with Michelin X Ones, which were great. I replaced them with some Khumo tires which I was not as pleased with. They were "ok", but not great. Somehow they "cupped" along the way, despite several alignments and even though they aren't completely worn down, I want to replace them.

My tire dealer says he has some Delta tires which are made by Cooper. He says they have softer rubber than the Khumo tires and the ride characteristics are much like the original X Ones. I'd say "Yeah, Right!" if not for the fact that he used to be the service manager at the local VW Dealer.

I live in Central PA, so I need an all season tire. I have a bit of a lead foot, but I'm no competition driver. I think the fastest I'v had this car going is 85 and that was on a straight stretch of highway. I usually travel 65 to 75 when I can get away with it.

Does anyone have suggestions for some reasonable priced replacement tires?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Heverly

I don't know what you consider "reasonably priced"... But your car needs an H rated tire, with a 91 load rating to meet VW's recommendations. So you won't be looking at a cheap extremely long life tire.

I found a "4-season" tire at a tire shop in Toronto. Now 4-season means it has the "snowflake" logo that certifies it as a winter capable tire, but it is made out of a harder rubber, so it can stand the summer heat. Essentially it's a high performance winter tire/rain tire that has been made using rubber that can take heat better. I find it is much better then "all-season" tires, as it's phenomenal in the rain, good in the snow, and it's excellent on the pavement as well - the tradeoff? - a 420 treadlife... so 70-90K Kms depending on your driving style, according to the salesman - he said expect around 3 or 4 years out of it - fine for me, i'd rather a good tire instead of a high life tire.

The tire is called the Nokian WR. Nokian is the same company that makes the Hakkapilleta (don't think I quite have the spelling) winter tire.

This is the link to the tire... It was designed to cope with the odd climatic patterns found in certain parts of Europe - I bought it because of the Unpredictable climates that can come about in Southern Ontario. I've been incredibly happy with the tire so far.

The cost was $600 Canadian for a set of 4 with balancing, mounting, valve stems.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I put Michelin WeatherWise on on my 99.5 jetta tdi after the original lousey goodyear tires cupped so bad I couldn't stand the noise anymore. They have over

50k miles on them and are still almost new. Good handling in all road conditions.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Try going to your local COSTCO WHOLESALE club. Get yourself a set of Michelins or Bridgestones If they dont last COSTCO will give you your money back!!

Reply to
AlanH70

They may not be particularly reasonably priced, but I really like the Michelin Energy MX4's that came on my Jetta TDI wagon. They are quiet, have decent traction wet and dry, have low rolling resistance, and should last a long time. I don't remember what the tread life rating is, but I think it's 400+ which should equate to at least 60K miles if the car stays in alignment.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I replaced my "Good"years with Dunlop SP Sport 5000s and have been pretty happy with them. They are quieter than the GYs, handle much better in the rain and in standing water, and you can get them for around $80 each "on the car" if you shop around. I've got 25,000+ miles on mine and they're nowhere near dead yet. I switch to real tires for the winter, though, so I'll see where I am next spring.

If that's still more than you want to spend, lots of people seem to like the Dunlop SP Sport A2s. They're a much older tire, in terms of design, but they still seem to handle well. About $10-12 less per tire than the 5000s.

sd

Reply to
sd

Reply to
John Martin

The Continental Eco-Plus tires my 2001 Golf TDI came with are still going with plenty of tread at 60,000 miles plus. They should last at least through 70,000. I'd get them again.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

I've had Michelin, Dunlop A2, and Goodyears on my 99.5 and all performed about the same. I'm a fairly aggressive driver and get about 50K miles per set, regardless of the brand. Next I'm gonna try a set of Continental CH series.

-Fred

Reply to
Fred T. Mahusay

Yes, David. I drive the same car and just installed a set of four BF Goodrich Traction T/A H's from Tire Rack @ $63/tire. It is currently their highest-rated performance all season. It has a nice 440 rating for treadware. I live in suburban Phila and they should do the trick for our climate. As "sticker tires", already they seem to outhandle the former Conti Sport Contacts and the original Goodyears that came on the car. I am presently at 120K. Good luck with yours.

Mike

1999.5 Jetta TDI 2004 Touareg V8
Reply to
aokvw