89 gti cleaning isv

Hi all,

I have been trying to clear up an unstable idle and slight hesitation on my new gti. i ahve gone through to search out vacuum leaks, and figured it wouldnt hurt to clean out the isv, like i have heard other places. I was wondering........

What is the preferred method to cleaning out ones ISV....

carb cleaner into the tube??? soaking in alcohol??

thanks

monk

Reply to
monk

Randolph

Yeah, those are nextt.........

But i figured that i would clean out the isv as well.......why not??

anyone have any info on this..??

later

monk

Reply to
monk

I have a section on my website about this....

Hope this Helps,

Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I've cleaned mine before, once in my 85 gti and also just recently in my 88 westfalia. My best results were to disconnect it, use intake cleaner spray liberally in top hole with thumb over side hole and fill up hole then cover top hole and do the same to the side (or bottom) once full of cleaner, shake vigorously (a minute or two) and dump out liquid. I had to do it several times and then I let it sit for a while to dry out. It shouldn't take long because of the high alcohol content in intake cleaner. once reinstalled I put a little dielectric grease on the connector. Is this the proper way you ask? I would think the dealer says no and to just replace it but i'm cheap like that and this method worked for me.

good luck Tristen

86 VW golf (pepi) 88 Westfalia (bogart)
Reply to
Tristen S

My cam cover is also painted blue. But is your tranny Chevy orange?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

I would use the ether (diesel engine starter fluid) that I used to check for vacuum leaks. That's not your problem though. Perform a tune-up yourself if you haven't already (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter) and have the dealer set the engine timing and especially the exhaust gases. If the timing's off by half a degree on a Digifant, you'll feel it.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

LOL....nope....stock VW Aluminum Grey with road spatter...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I guess i should have mentioned.....this car is cis-e.......not digifant.

When i bought the car, the previous owner stated that he had recently given it a "tuneup". How extensive it was only he knows..... I have been going over the airbox, and have come across a HUGE tear in the airbox boot directly above/after the air flow plate......i'm assuming that this was part of the reason the car was running so strangely. I also noticed that my injectors are awfully loose........i understand they are just held in by o-rings.....but cant imagine that the rings are still any good.........

I'm off to the dealer, and gonna pick up some parts.....i'll post back with my results..

Thanks

Monk

Reply to
monk