Imported VW Service

I recently purchased a 2000 GTI VR6 that I was told had been originally sold to a military person in Germany. After test driving it, being impressed, and forking over 9000 bucks, I started to wonder if I will have any service related problems due to it's overseas origins. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience in this arena.

It's works perfectly so far, but all things eventually break...

Reply to
Tom

Should be about the same as a North American version... Might have different shocks on it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Well, the diesel outside US does not have as much sulfur, so I would guess that would mean different settings. It could also be why the European market model does 120HP while the American one 90.

Reply to
Mauricio

It would need to be a US spec car to get imported. Post the VIN number all but the last 6 digits. The last 6 are not needed and it also keeps yours a secret.

Reply to
Woodchuck

...and it probably *is* a US spec car if it was bought new by a US military person in Germany.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

if it's a US spec car it shouldn't be any issue.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Peter Parker

person in Germany.

Right. I'm not sure of all the details of the program, but my understanding is that if you're in the military you can't just bring back any car...still has to be a US spec one. The deal is probably you get a break or total exemption from things like customs duty that you'd otherwise have to pay, etc.

Reply to
Matt B.