Replacing my alternator brushes

I was told by the local battery place last year that the alternator on my '83 Rabbit GTI was not putting out enough juice. I'd been driving it semi-regularly since then (charging the battery with a charger), but I finally decided to replace it. But then I remembered how much of a hassle it was the last time I replaced it. The alternator is caged in by the air conditioner housing and the radiator. So I was condidering replacing the brushes (regulator) without removing the alternator. Is this a dumb idea. Is it even doable? Thanks,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Mann

Are you sure the grounding wire is attached to the alternator and engine block? Are the other wires/cable in good shape and electrically correct? Sometimes those large terminals inside of the plug corrode and get loose.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Replacing the brushes while the alt. is still mounted is easy. Does your indicator light in the dash light at all?

Reply to
samstone

It's doable but usally the slip rings are worn too.

SFC

"Fred Mann" schreef in bericht news:rguwi.4111$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
SFC

Yep I did this on my Mk2 in a matter of 3 minutes. Very easy.

Reply to
Matt B.

I got a new battery, and it turns out there's nothing wrong with the alternator after all. Just an old battery. I guess I got my two rabbits confused. But thanks to everyone for the help (again). I'll need to replace those brushes someday .... Fred

Reply to
Fred Mann