Scirocco 16v downpipe

I'm currently restoring my '87 VW Scirocco 16v and just recently acquired an OE exhaust downpipe ($1200.00 + at a VW dealer), I've cleaned it up and ready to install however since I still have it off I was considering either ceramic coating or heat wrapping it prior to install. My question is has anyone had any experience, tips, recommendations with regards to exhaust downpipes? Or should I just leave it as is and simply install it? Any advantages or disadvantages with either process?

Reply to
Norbert Ricafort

DO NOT USE THERMAL WRAP TAPE ON ANY EXHAUST PARTS THAT YOU AREN'T PREPARED TO REPLACE IN A YEAR OR TWO.

I assume you're also thinking of "Jet-Hot" or a similar coating, it's a good idea, but not sure how well it would work on the "bellows." I'd call them and ask whether they thought it would hold up in that app or not.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Regal53

Why would you pay $1200+ for a downpipe?

I'm looking at a catalog now that has the downpipe with the cat for $399.

Yes it is for a 86 - 88 Scirocco 16 valve.

Reply to
Dave

Maybe that's the dealers list price? I'm sure click and clack could help you out on the coating question. Ask them if the $1200 downpipe is worth more than the car? heh!! I want to listen so post when you are going to call it in... Thanks!!! :)

Reply to
Peter Parker