VW Beetle Turbo S 2003 - won't shift while car is running

Please help! I rode through some seriously deep water last night, and today I can't get my car into any gear. When the car is off and the clutch depressed moving through all the gears is no problem. When the engine is running I press in the clutch and move into reverse and BANG and the engine stalls out. My local dealer's service department was no help.

So is this something that will fix itself if the sun every comes out and dries things up? Did I short out some fuse?

Reply to
melisens

Manual transmission won't have any fuse or electronic controls. (well, some do...but it's not likely).

Sounds like your clutch is failing to disengage (the pedal is doing nothing, essentially). You're probably going to get nowhere without a tow to a dealer or mechanic.

Reply to
Matt B.

Your clutch is rusted up and will not free. try this : "Warming the engine for an hour then stop the engine, place the vehicle in a high gear. Start the engine with your foot on the brake"

Reply to
Alec

Or... hold the pedal in and run the NB in 1st gear and blip the throttle until it breaks loose. Sounds like rust!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks for the info - looks like 'rust' was the correct answer. I had the car towed through roadside assistance. The dealer called me on Monday and asked 'did you drive through water?' I said yes but it wasn't that deep maybe up to the running board. So he said that apparently water got into the clutch and rusted overnight causing the clutch to seize - which my heart did as he was speaking. As you probably know the clutch is not a warranty item.

So that meant no reimbursement for the rental car and $1700 repair on a

2 yr old car with 25k miles. The mechanic totally helped me out because he told me that the VW rep was going to be in the shop the day he was going to replace my clutch. The mechanic said I've never this happen before so I will show him. Meanwhile I put a call into the VW America warranty call center - a truly surreal experience. The good news is that VW paid 75% of the repair - for which I am most grateful. However, I am still going to try for the other 25%.

So is it normal for the clutch hous> Or... hold the pedal in and run the NB in 1st gear and blip the throttle

Reply to
melisens

they aren't water-proof

lucky day for you.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I personally wouldn't pay to have the clutch done, just put the car in gear, stand on the brake, and start the engine with the clutch pedal depressed. I've done this several times on my '62 Stude after having left it sit without driving for too long.

nate

Lost > they aren't water-proof

Reply to
Nate Nagel