Steering wheel is off center?

Had a small accident today; another car hit my Golf in the side, bending the rear passenger door up pretty bad, but that's about all. I will be taking it in to be repaired, but for the moment... It seems to drive, steer and brake normally; except that the steering wheel is off about 15 degrees. I just had a front end allignment Saturday and it was fine then.

I am not sure why being hit like that would affect my steering. Do you think it is safe to drive for the moment?

Reply to
Suanne Lippman

Something could be bent in the rear suspension which could cause the wheel to be off center. I can go deeper if you need an explanation why.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

No, thats okay; I will have it in for repairs in the next day or two. Would it be safe to drive moderately until then. (your best guess, wouldn't hold you responsible for advice over the internet...)

Reply to
Ted

Reply to
none2u

Simply put, when the steering is not normal for any reason, you put yourself (and others on the road) at serious risk any time the car is driven. Get it towed to a repair facility and have it fixed. If you cannot afford to do that, park it.

And there could be other safety concerns that have not shown up, such as a partially cut brake line that has not been severed yet. Anything could be damaged, and in many cases damaged items are not obvious at first.

Reply to
Papa

i would advise that you don't drive it until it has been checked over. you never know what might have been damaged

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

The other guy must have also hit your tire and bent something so the geometry of the wheel/suspension is off and it's causing you to have to compensate by driving with the front wheels turned a little bit to make up for it (like when you get a crappy shopping cart at the grocery store that always pulls to one side). Drive it minimally and get it fixed soon.

Reply to
Matt B.

I backed it up a foot and yeh, the rear wheel is not straight. I won't drive it until the adjuster see it; then he can decide whether to have it towed. Thanks all.

Reply to
Ted

Make sure the wheel itself isn't messed up too. He could have just nailed the tire only in which case the rim should probably be fine (amazing how "hard" a tire with air can be...enough to not absorb the impact and instead transmit it to the suspension (and in a direction the suspension was not designed for so something was probably bent). But make sure your adjuster looks at the tire and the rim as well.

Reply to
Matt B.