swapping motors 87 cabriolet to 82 jetta, what's involved???

Well... I think I have convinced myself I am buying yet another car... it's got a super nice body and interior... it's an 82 Jetta with a blown head. i have a complete good engine still in an 87 cabriolet parts car that I would like to swap over... but what else would I have to change? i could tell from the 2 seconds I looked at the car that the jetta had a different a/c compressor (don't know if it works... don't know if the cabriolet one works either... which is a better system and is everything else in the system the same other than the compressor?), the distributor, and a couple other things that i didn't get a close look at... also, the cabrillet has a 5spd and the jetta has an automatic... anything going to bolt up differently? I know on the aircooleds, the automatics had a slightly different engine.

I'm really getting (what I think is) a sweet deal on this jetta... but I need to be sure that I can swap the engine over... only thing the jetta is lacking is a sunroof!!! but man, this car is worth what I am paying for it in parts alone! thins thing is NICE!!!!

Reply to
VWGirl

[...]

Go for it! :-) Should be an easy engine swap although I am not sure if your 87 engine has a knock sensor on it. The 87's injectors might be higher flowing than the 82s.

later, dave

83 Audi 4KS (83 GTi engine inside)
Reply to
dave

I went back to look at the car today... poor thing only had 57k on the odometer!!!! no wonder it is so nice!!!

Reply to
VWGirl

VWGirl

It looks super clean. Please save it! :-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

no way would i trash a 57,000 mile a1 jetta!!! hopefully i can have a new engine (if really needed) in it in a couple weeks... i will let my mom drive it, she goes maybe 10 miles/week... I am thinking by 2010 it may get 60,000 miles on it that way ;-)

Reply to
VWGirl

Why the hell can't I find cars like that in Canada...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

cause there is more rust and salt up there eh????

Reply to
VWGirl