Jetta AC no longer cool....

Hello, It seems my AC has quit. Blower still works, there is still a belt on the compressor...What are the first few things I should check before taking my
89 Jetta 16v to an Air conditioning shop? Any fuses/relays cause the system to top cooling? Otherwise: $$$!!!
Thanks! Lou
DFRee wrote:

Have the car cool, open the hood and while standing beside the car, have someone start the car with the AC off.
* Is the engine cooling fan running?
Next watch and listen to the AC unit while they turn on the AC.
* Did the AC unit jerk and or make a different noise? Is the engine fan on now?
If yes to the two questions above, leave the AC on high and see if you can find a sight glass. It may be covered with some sort of cover, like plastic. If you find it, wipe off the glass and see if any bubbles are flowing past.
Log back on and give us the results.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan wrote: DFRee wrote:

Have the car cool, open the hood and while standing beside the car, have someone start the car with the AC off.
* Is the engine cooling fan running? Yes.
Next watch and listen to the AC unit while they turn on the AC.
* Did the AC unit jerk and or make a different noise? Is the engine fan on now? Yes.
If yes to the two questions above, leave the AC on high and see if you can find a sight glass. It may be covered with some sort of cover, like plastic. If you find it, wipe off the glass and see if any bubbles are flowing past. Yes, there are bubbles. Now what ?
thanks! Lou
Well we know the A/C is functioning. If you see more bubbles than fluid, I believe it is a good indication that you are low coolant.
On the other hand, if you are not getting any cool air, I suggest that it may be a control problem. Make sure the controls are set to cold. I suspect it may be a cable or vacuum line causing the blend door to fail to open to cool.
You may be able to find a vacuum hose off in the engine compartment, but most cars today seem to have a few hundred of them.
Good Luck
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math