That $#&$ VW Starter - Trying to get it out

Hey VW driver's... I'm in the middle of working on my project car where my first step is to get it running again given the starter gave up on it.... well here's my story

This 92 Auto Gas Jetta with AC seems to have the starter tucked towards the back side of the car up above the drive axle and semi hidden behind the exhaust pipe... just an insane setup as I was used to having the starter near the front. Anyway besides barely being able to access this thing, I'm going to have an issue taking it out if I ever get it to that point.

What's I've concluded thus far is that the exhaust from the exhaust manifold connection down has to be removed.. I'm hoping that will allow me to get the second starter bolt off, and the shield loose... then that would appear to be the only place to take this starter out from (right down the tunnel where the exhaust goes).

Do any of you guys have experience with this particular style of starter location? Is that all I'll have to take off?

For this car, it isn't where I'd have expected it to be, and so far the most difficult starter I've ever tried to remove... So tight up in there.

Anyway, I took some pics of the area for you to look at... so far I've got the one main bold loose and it will come off easy... also at the end of it I've got the three small nuts off which have a bracket on them.. so I figure one more large bolt, the wires (which I assume I'll be able to see when its loose), and then its a question of how do I get it out....

From the top there's no way to see this thing at all.. but from the bottom I have a few hand holes to use to get access, but it is really tight...

idea?

See pics at

use password "Jetta" Thanks

Reply to
Chris

Manual trans cars have it at the front, autos are in back. Why I dunno but that's how they are on the A2s.

FWIW, this is what the bentley says...doesn't say anything about the exhaust needing to be removed on auto cars (doesn't mean it's right though either...the bentley occasionally gets "confused"):

To remove the starter, first disconnect the ground strap from the negative battery terminal. On cars with automatic transmission, work beneath the car to remove the two bolts that hold the cover plate to the starter and remove the plate.

Disconnect the wire to terminal 50 and the positive battery cable from the starter solenoid. Note the location of any other wires attached to the starter and then disconnect them. Remove the bolts that hold the starter to the transmission bellhousing and remove hte stareter. On cars with automatic transmission it is also necessary to remove the bolt holding the starter mounting bracket to the engine.

Inspect the starter. Replace or repair the starter if the drive pinion teeth are worn or broken. On cars with manual transmission, inspect the starter bushing that is pressed into the transaxle's bellhousing. If the bushing is worn or damaged, it should be replaced.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Lubricate the starter bushing with multipurpose grease. On cars w/manual transmission, torque the starter mounting bolts to 60Nm (43ft-lb). On cars with automatic transmission, torque the mounting flange bolts to 20Nm (15ft-lb), and torque the starter mounting bracket mounting bolt to 25Nm (18 ft-lb).

Reply to
Matt B.

Remove the axle first and things will be easier. Yep getting the starter out sucks!

Reply to
Woodchuck

thanks for the information, my books say roughly the same indicating that it should be easy... but..maybe not here..

Reply to
Chris

I was hoping I wouldn't have to go to that level for this...but you may indeed be right... there's no room there..something has got to go... so I'm guessing now that the axle will likely be the piece to go. likely keep the exhaust where it is, and use the axle room..

thanks

Reply to
Chris

It worked, got the starter out, and put a rebuilt one in. Car started up.

However, I removed one of the exhaust clips to get a good angle at one of the starter bolts...now I can't get that clip back on.. How is it done?

Help

Reply to
Chris

From what I understand you make a wood wedge to get the clip back on I never did it but I read about awhile ago.