The "Old" Golf

We've had our '90 Golf (GL 4Dr Wolfsburg 1.8 manual) for 11 years and

100,000 miles (It has 162,000).

It runs great for its age (20!). I've taken care of it and used good gas. It's still fun to drive and has lots of power- especially in the middle band.

Lately it's been burning oil- about a quart every tank. When it comes to a stop it burps a big white puff out of the tailpipe. I've heard a few backfires, too.

Advice?

Reply to
B Briggs

Blown head gasket, check the coolant water level and see if has dropped.

SFC

"B Briggs" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@z17g2000prz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

It is NOT a blown head gasket. It's not pouring out... just a puff- as in BURNING OIL.

Thoughtful advice needed.

Reply to
B Briggs

It is NOT a blown head gasket. It's not pouring out... just a puff- as in BURNING OIL.

Thoughtful advice needed.

It doesn't need to be pouring out. Water can also be sucked into the cylinder and will give that white smoke. This is sometimes it's difficult to diagnose because the engine appears to have no leaks on the outside or bubbles in the header tank. Again check the coolant level.....

SFC

Reply to
SFC

Sell it , scrap it, part it, or rebuild the engine.

End of problem.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Indeed. It could just be a fine track through the fire ring of the gasket.

That's what it was when I blew the gasket on my GTI a long time ago, after shifting from third into second instead of fourth; having almost redlined it in third.

After the head was pulled, there was only one place where the gasket had blown, between the cylinder and the coolant channel. Less than a millimetre wide. It drew only a little coolant into the cylinder and there were no "bubbles" visible in the expansion tank with the engine idling or being revved under no load.

The only time when there was a large cloud of steam was the first time after the engine was started, following the clumsy gear change. (I'd pulled the plugs to check the cylinders weren't going to go hydraulic, before trying to start the engine again.)

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

What's wrong with all of you? Haven't you ever heard of BLOW BY?

Morons.

Reply to
Noplacia

SFC, DogDiesel, WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU? Haven't you ever heard of BLOW BY?

Negativity never solved a problem. I'm calling you both Cassandra. Look it up.

Reply to
Noplacia

Yes of course I heard of that but this is usally the case with turbo engines. Also blow by doesn't cause any white smoke out of the exhaust just crankcase (oil) vapour.

SFC

"Noplacia" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC