The Saga continues

Howdo

I have been tinkering with the car today and i think i may have at last ruled a couple of things out. As some of you may know form my last posts i have been experiencing problems with erratic engine idling, which i now believe is due to either a faulty throttle servo or potentiometer. I understand what the throttle servo does, but as i'm not that electronically or mechanically minded could somebody explain what the potentiometer does.

I replaced the throttle body on Friday with one which was guaranteed to be

100% working, but it made things worse as the car would idle erratically as soon as it was started opposed to intermittently with the original. What i did notice was that the butterfly on the replacement was on a different angle to the original, would this cause the problem with the idling and if so how would i adjust it.

When connected to a VAG diagnostic machine the original throttle body gives the error message "potentiometer fail", where as the second throttle body gives an error message of "insufficient feed" or something along those lines. Is it possible that the replacement body if buggered or is something else more sinister.

Ok here comes the odd bit. For the first hour of a long drive the or whilst the car is warming up all is well, but once it gets hot (has never over heated) thats when it starts misbehaving. The erratic idling can be ironed out by changing gear late but this does not help when the car is static. I'm now at the point where i've done everything which i can think of and i may have to resort to taking the dam thing to my local stealership.

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS I'M NOT SURE WHAT ELSE TO DO.

Reply to
Dr Gonzo