Unhooking battery of 2003 VW Jetta

Need to unhook the negative battery terminal (at a minimum) of my 2003 Jetta to install a stereo add-on. After removing the battery cover (black plastic), noticed only one nut on the stop of the battery terminal that looked like, even if i removed it, wouldn't allow me to remove the cable to the terminal.

What needs to be done to remove the cable from the negative battery wire and which tool is needed? Almost none of my tools have plastic handles for what that's worth... don't want to have to buy anything special to do this.

BTW, it's my first time. No kidding, huh? hehe

Reply to
Trooper2

The battery clamps each have a single 10mm nut that if you loosen a few turns will allow the clamp to open up a little and from there you can lift the clamp right off.

Don't worry about the tools you are using shorting out, the negative battery cable is bolted right up to the body of the car anyway.

Reply to
Pencilneck