Changing the battery on 2000 vr6 Jetta. Where are the retaining bolts?

Can someone tell me how to remove the battery from a 2000 vr6 Jetta? My car's battery has not been keeping its charge very well and I have been told that it needs replacing (I've had the alternator tested and no problems were found there).

I've looked at the battery and removed the cover but can't find where the bolts are that hold down the battery. I'd really rather change it myself rather than pay someone to do a what seems like a simple job.

Can someone point me to where the hold down bolts are? Do I have to remove the whole battery enclosure to remove the battery? Will I need any special tools?

Thanks in advance for the help.

raymond rcruz3260@"removethis"rogers.com

Reply to
ray cruz

Standing in front of the battery you should see 2 or 3 phillips screws, remove them and lift the rear headlight cover upwards (note how it is fitted and the routing of the hood release cable). There may be a "L" shapped panel in front of the battery, with a 10mm bolt holding it in place at the corner of the "L". Remove bolt and lift panel upwards.

Front and center of the battery is a 13mm bolt that clamps the braket onto the battery. Remove bolt and braket, a magnet tool is very useful here. Lift battery out of car and dump in river, fish need batteries too!

Hope this helps you out.

Later.

Reply to
Pencilneck

You make it sounds so... easy! Still brainwashed from Touareg class????

Reply to
Woodchuck

When VWs were coming with those OE white top "dry cell" batteries, I got really good at swapping out batteries. :)

I can't wait to do my first Touareg battery! Unbolt driver's seat.....

Pencilneck blah blah blah

Reply to
Pencilneck