Update on 99 Passat 1.8T at 110K

I posted a few threads about 3 years ago regarding a number of problems with my 99 VW Passat. I eventually realized that these problems mainly revolved around the car not being serviced properly (it was a "VW Certified" car I bought in 2003, with about 50K miles at the time).

Anyway, my partner is now driving it -- it now has 110K and is an excellent car. The valves/lifters seem a bit loud (almost like a modern diesel...i.e. not 1983 Mercedes 300D loud....), it's somewhat alleviated with an oil change..but after 1000 miles or so, it gets loud again......but i am assuming (hoping) that it is just how the engine was designed.....

Have not had any problems with the car (as in breakdowns), but would recommend to anyone buying one to budget around $1K to $2K a year for maintenance......find a good mechanic and keep it serviced properly, and these cars should last you a long time...

I once read, on the BMW message board (I also own a 330i) that Japanese cars are more reliable, but German cars are more durable.....the fit and finish, as well as the performance, on the VW (and my BMW, for that matter) are the exact same at 100K, as they were when i bought them at

50K

We intend to keep our VW until at least 140K or 150K.......the BMW longer....

Reply to
Brandon