vanagon transmission lowering

Hi all,

I've got an '84 vanagon with what I'm assuming is a bad pilot bearing. I am planning on doing the job myself but I need directions for how to drop just the back end of the transmission to allow access to the engine. I'm sure I remember seeing this somewhere before but I can't seem to find it now. As I recall there is a procedure that leaves the front end of the transmission attached but swings the back half down and out of the way. Anybody out there done this one? Got info on how I can do it? Like I said, I've looked around a bit both online and in the Bentley book but everything I've seen is a procedure for removing the whole darn thing and I'd sure like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
jbrewster

There's one rear transmission mount with 4 bolts and a large ground cable in the rear. Support the engine, remove and lower and you should be ok. I'm not sure on what you mean by removing only the back end of the transmission. Why not remove the entire transmission as a whole?

Reply to
Madesio

Ive never removed a transmission on a vanagon, but on some models for other manufacturers the transmission gear box will bolt to a bell housing which will than bolt to the engine. In that case sometimes it was easier to remove the transmission and than the bell housing due to space issues. That is the only sense I can make by taking off the back end of the transmission. Hope that helps

Reply to
petricola