How heavy transmission is?

Going to do clutch in 2wd Cherokee 94 (5sp I6)

Is transmission heavy for 2 average guys to pull out on hands?

Reply to
Katit

Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Or even better, a transmission jack.

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I have car lift.. Unfortunately, I don't have ceiling clearance to lift Jeep all way up and use my tall transmission jack (I use it for sedans)

I was thinking about getting transmission jack attachement from HF (to use on a floor jack) but I probably won't do this job again and didn't want to throw $50 away.

I can lift car to about 4-5 feet from the ground....

Looks like tranny weight 90 pounds, so I thought 2 guys can easily take it on hands.

Thanks for suggestions, I may use that trick with a rope. But after I buy this simple supplies (rope, etc...) I will spend close to what I spend for transm jack attachement :)

Reply to
Katit

Well I recon (lift and all!). even at 4 feet you can sit and get'er out no problem. You wont need the rope trick with 2 of you holding on.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Ok. I got her out!!!

Actually, tall transmission jack was just enough to get tranny out when lifted car all way up in 9ft tall garage

Got it out in 3 hours myself and had to make trip to Autozone to get bearing removal tool.

Pilot bearing out.

I have 2 bearings with clutch tool. One just bearing, another pressed into metal donut. I guess just "extra part"

Broke 1 welded bolt for transmission support. Will go without it, have no idea how to put it back onto body..

Reply to
Katit

Reply to
Will Honea

Yeh, I had it up in the air with 2nd lift lock engaged.

This time I finally bought mechanics chair and my butt was on soft surface

Reply to
Katit