vibrating at low RPM

Hey everyone, im just wondering what to do with this little annoyance with my car. It's a 92 golf wolfy, and when im in neutra, the engine runs around 1000 rpm, it starts vibrating, the interior of the car vibrates, my change, my glasses, everything. it's not a strong one, but it is annoying, sometimes its constant, other times it comes in and out, in and out, corresponding with the rpm which drops a little and raises a little, range: a bit below 1000 to a bit above 1000. the engine has about 215000km on it, i recently did an oil change. what do you think is causing this.. sort of unconstant rpm ? causing the vibrations. sometimes i worry the engines going to die out when it does that drop and rise action with the rpm, feels like a chugging action, as if the engines coughing, or choking. any insight on this?

thanks in advance for your time and experience :)

Reply to
wolfy

misfiring......at least 1 but more like 2 cylinders

Reply to
Harry

The low-rpm vibration sounds like classic symptoms of bad motor mounts. Maybe a combination of that and a car idling badly. My 88 Scirocco vibrates from the mounts back through to the dash, windows, steering wheel and (finally) my teeth. All between 900 and 1100 RPMs. I believe the A2 cars only have 3 mounts to check ????

Reply to
Willie78

"Harry" wrote

How about that another Harry. This Harry goes along with the post that says to look at the engine mounts. One idea would be when it is doing this vibration to open the hood to see if you are noticing any engine movement. If it were missing you would get an exhaust note change to a missing tone also. I also may add that if it is by some chance running on 3 cylinders this could destroy the catalytic converter with the mixture difference if ran long this way.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

mounts, okay im going to check the mounts. what's this about misfiring? i understand it has to do with the sparkplugs... but thats pretty much it. how can i check to see for sure if that could be it? and do you think this might be due to a bad air filter?

Reply to
wolfy

Start with the most basic/inexpensive. Distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and yes, doesn't hurt to check a/filter. Please note that MANY things can cause a rough idle and/or vibration- vacuum leaks, bad spark, crappy fuel delivery. Its kinda hard to diagnose for sure b/c we're not sitting in your car vibrating right now. How does it run otherwise ??? Does it misfire under acceleration ??? Or is this just a problem when at idle ??

Reply to
Willie78