Misfiring engine at low RPM

Dear VW fans,

I have 1986 Jetta with 430,000km. The engine starts and idles okey. But, - when I push accelerator just a bit to around 1200 RPM and hold it there, the engine misfires and is very rough. It stalled twice in parking lot and traffic.

- when I really press step on the accelerator, beyond 2000 RPM, then I have no problem.

I thought this might be injector problem. So, right now, I put massive amount of injector cleaner in my fuel tank. But, the rough engine at around 1200 RPM still persists.

Any idea what to look at, before I take it to VW dealer or mechanics?

I don't know if it's important, but I start the engine for the first time of the day, I don't experience the misfiring at low RPM. But, as soon as the engine warms up, I do experience the misfires. Should I thicker oil?

Reply to
William Park

I would look at the engine in the dark with your eyes dark-adapted, and see if you see arcing. Look carefully around the coil too.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

With such a lot of km's it's not unlikely to have misfires. I would suggest you test the cyl. pressure and replace plugs for the three prong type.

SFC

"William Park" schreef in bericht news:bf2e0$431f3386$d8fea167$ snipped-for-privacy@PRIMUS.CA...

Reply to
SFC